Did I use correct glass thickness?

Reaction score
hey guys, i built the below tanks & i'm scared i didn't use the correct glass thickness... should they hold or should i redo them before disaster strikes (i'm too scared to do the FW test LOL)? thanks! :)

i built 4 of these tanks:
500mm(L) x 500mm(W) x 250mm(H)

i also built a sump:
500mm(L) x 500mm(W) x 300mm(H) with 3 baffles

i used 6mm glass for the bottoms and 3mm glass for the sides

Reaction score
oh & i drilled a 50mm hole for the overflows in the bottoms of the tanks! will this compromise the strength of the 6mm glass bottoms too much (these tanks won't have to hold rocks, they'll be completely BB)?

Reaction score
I would say the sides would be too thin, have you fitted brace bars?
nope, do you suggest i put in brace bars? have you got an example of how i can do it? thanks!!! :)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The brace bars would be a strip of glass (around 40mm wide) that should be siliconed about 20mm from the top of your tank, the glass should be the same thickness as your sides.

Do your f/w test after about a week of putting the tanks together (one day of curing for every mm of glass thickness) if it can hold water for a week it will probably be ok.
For what it's worth, i wouldn't be comfortable with glass that thin

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I would also be weary of glass that thin, remembering this tank will hold some where around 250L of water. I am not saying it will be a problem as it is not very high, just personally i wouldn't trust it.

Reaction score
I would also be weary of glass that thin, remembering this tank will hold some where around 250L of water. I am not saying it will be a problem as it is not very high, just personally i wouldn't trust it.
hi alan, it's actually 4 tanks each holding about 60 odd litres of water (500x500x250), the sump is 500x500x300, would the 3mm be OK for the sides? thanks!

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
3mm never a good idea too fagile.... at least 4mm

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with Les, I recommend 4mm all round. 250mm is very shallow so it would be fine.

Standard 2ft tanks are normally built using 4mm and no bracing and they are 30cm high.

Rod

Reaction score
I personally would not have used 3 mm glass, (there is only about a 10 % difference)however for the water levels they should be fine. The problem really is how delicate the glass is. So beware of knocks.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Gotto say 3 mm is to thin IMHO, might work but a small knock or bump going to be disastrous, and possibly dangerous, you dont want somebody standing in front if it breaks