dibs

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by HOT SAUCE, 21 Aug 2013.

1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

Hi all

what you think on the ''dibs'' system that we have going on on the For Sale Forum.

There is my opinion. If someone finds something that he/she wants to buy from a fellow reefer it would be much better to ask the questions first and then once one has confirmed that the item is right for them to place their order.

"dibs pending questions'' to me that sounds like i saw the item first so even if i'm not gonna buy it i still have the right to waste everyone else's time.
    I've seen threads where there 4-5 dibs on a single item its so hard even for the seller to keep track of whos ''dibs'' is first. then after few days one can just come and say ''oh i don't need this any more so un-dibs''

why can't we just buy what we want and if we are unsure let someone else buy it.

The Viskop likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Because sometimes you really want the item, but not sure if it is maybe too long, incorrect strength, eat corals or whatever the reason.
    So yes, asking for more detail is permitted. Now just because you went to the shop to buy bread, while waiting for the answers / reply. The seller reply in that timeframe and now somebody else take it. Just because you did not dibs it.

But placing a dib, you are basically placing a confirmation that you want it. Just undib couple of days later after the reply was given, without a reason why you opt out, is a bit dodgy. Here I do agree with you.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

i can agree with ''dibs if i can pay at the end of the month when i get paid'' thats normal. but dibsing just to ask questions and then to undibs when the you are unsatisfied with the answer is maybe wasting other peoples time that want to buy the item

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

besides we live in the Google era. if someone is selling a ReefOctupus SSS2000 skimmer for example whats the point of ''dibs pending questions on rating flow etc.'' all one has to do is google the item and he/she will find all the info on it in a matter of seconds.

6. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

i agree with HOT as if you know what you want then dibs it if you are unsure then dont dibs ask the questions google it ect as the unsure person may dibs it pull out and the second person who did not place second dibs may loose out.

Dibs protects the uninformed and unsure, "dibs pending speaking to my wife" I have seen that

It works again people who are serious and want a item

Just my 2c

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And livestock?

Can use Google, but Google will not tell me how big it is, or small.

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

in that case ask your questions and when satisfied place your dibs. is the fish healthy, does it eat well, how big is it etc. there are people on the forum who have 3m long tanks so any fish would fit maybe they want to buy it straight away regardless of the size so why waste time

9. smithy

smithy

Dont agree, if you ask questions first and specs are what you want someone else may have dibs'd by that time who maybe knows the specs the you lose out. Maybe a hour dibs to get info and then goes onto next person

10. Dian6430

Dian6430

I think a lot of people is afraid they might loose the product they want. I think maybe the seller must give all possible info in the beginning. Say someone like me, a newbie, doesnt know what a reeftek ts1 is rated for and i need a skimmer thats when i place dibs so i can find out, because an experienced guy maybe knows already and newbie looses out. I also understand your point sometimes it gets out of hand. Just good things dont come around often. My 2c worth :)

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok,
    first thread I to, to get an example

[FS]: LED DIY parts: PE - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Question asked
    That is a legit question. Full description was not given.

There are a lot of different drivers out there. So yes, in my eyes, 100% correct to ask questions.

12. Braco

Braco

Dibs... undibs it's crazy...respect to both the yes i agree and the no i dont agree...i loose out the majority of the time..but hey it's marines we're talking about..lol..everything has dibs on it...

13. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

i understand the asking questions part but what i don't understand is why would someone want to secure an item without even being sure whether the item is good for him/her or not.. sounds like a bit of time wasting. also serious buyers don't get the chance because they have to cue behind 3-4 dibs already

14. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

@RiaanP i like the link you posted... please note that there was a dibs 3 weeks ago and today the seller is bumping the thread??? in fact i wanted those LEDs and could've paid long ago but saw the dibs and backed off also i have ordered LEDs for myself already and don't need those anymore. so whos loosing here besides me on a good deal for LEDs is the seller

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Braco

Braco

I know what you mean HOT it happens so often on the thread...:blush:

16. JAJA

JAJA

I agree with both sides concerns and comments provided these are valid. Whenever i see something i want to buy I google my questions and get answers before i place dibs. This to me is the right way to go but admit that some products specs (not many) are not available on the web.

Too many times however dibs are not honoured because the "dibber" has reconsidered for some reason. In my experience this happens more often than the item not being suitable after post dibs answers being provided.

17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

we need a solution... there is a for sale thread today that has 4-5 dibs on some of the items its going crazy. i'm sure even the thread starter is even struggling to keep tabs on whats happening

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

also what is the acceptable norm for dibs duration... 24 hours, few days .. weeks?

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cancelling your dibs days later is not on. Simply, wasting everybody's time.

Going home to measure the gap you got, to ensure it will fit, whatever. If you cannot check toning, put that in the Dibs. Example I'm on leave coming back Sunday, will answer Monday morning. Something like that.

If somebody place a dib, then it cannot stand forever. 100% agree with that. Seller should then let the deal go to the second person. Place your second dibs. Hopefully when the first guy in line see that others are also interested, he will make sure that he reply in time.

20. Dimi

Dimi

It has happened to me to, in one way it was good as I scored a great tank from Sidney as the previous person did not honour his dibs and that was three weeks later. I think there should be time limit as smithy mentioned, maybe no dibs will be held longer than 24 hours.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

unless you got a reason, like being away, but you then need to mention that and by when you will reply

Recent Posts