Dibs ???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by AfricaOffroad, 29 Dec 2010.

1. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Can someone please explain to me how a person places a "dibs" on equipment and/or livestock when they have no idea of its pricing?

A "dibs" in my book is an offer to purchase and I as a seller would expect some commitment from anyone placing a dibs on anything I am trying to sell.
    How can one make that commitment when one has no idea of the price of the goods? Isn't that a little risky?

Or is a dibs just a way of the first person opening a "For Sale" post to stake their claim over that of any other interested party. This just giving them more time to contemplate whether they really want the item, at the expense of any other potential buyers?

Maybe we need a way of penalising all the "dibbers" who continually renege on deals. Mods could accumulate data from sellers on the board. You get a "buyer's score", positive or negative, at least the seller has a better idea if he/she is dealing with genuine potential buyers or just a tyre kicker so to speak.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I agree 100% with you AfricaOffroad!

Dibs mean, I'm buying the article from the seller!

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

:iagree:

5. zayd

zayd

I agree. Had many responses for items I have had for sale and then they renege on the deal.

We need a way of rating purchasers and sellers.

6. maj

maj

implement same concept like Ebay has wrt buyer and seller ratings,great idea AOR

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

+1
    maybe there is an advanced sales module :)

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I can do that in 5 minutes, IF everybody wants it.

This is and always will be a raging bull for starting arguments and upsetting people and so on. Everybody has different schools of thought on this. My preferred understanding of "dibs" according to wikipedia is
    In other words, I see something and I think, ooooohhhh, I want that but I'm not sure if it will fit or if I have enough money for it, so you place dibs on it in the meantime to reserve it until you have made sure that the item will fit, or the fish is reef-safe or you go off and do some research on the item (isn't that what we always tell people to do?) Do we not always tell people to slow down and research things first before they buy anything? Should a person not be allowed to reserve something for say 24 hours to give them time to research it? I do it all the time on other forums, I say dibs but then I also say, "I just need to check if it will fit", or whatever. Then I come back within 24 hours and either say I'll take it or not, by then there are normally 5 or 6 other people that have placed dibs and as such the item will then be offered to the next person in line. It seems to work quite well. Anyway, that's my opinion of how it all works, but it is subject to change. :p

I honestly don't think a person should be given a bad reputation for saying dibs and then not buying the item, circumstances change, thought process's change, situations change, there could be many valid reasons for a person backing out on a deal and for that person to then be given a reputation as a bad buyer is not fair in my opinion. Yes, if somebody does it all the time then fair enough, he deserves it, but the odd backing out here and there really doesn't justify it as far as I am concerned.

9. SIMS

SIMS

Agree with Viper357

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

+ 1 Viper

11. zayd

zayd

I agree with Viper. Could create a lot of unhappiness. Maybe "dibs" should not be allowed or only at the discretion of the seller.

12. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad Thread Starter

Placing a time limit for any form of reservation (dibs) would definitely be a good idea - for each seller or perhaps a forum guideline.

Agree, I dont like the idea of over policing, admin or too many complicated rules on sell/buy activities. I do however think people need to think through a matter properly before just placing a "dibs". Their thoughless action can inconvenience both the seller and a potentially serious buyer.

13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

there are 2 easy ways to deal with this dibs bs ......

1 - The seller stipulates that NO dibs is allowed or
    2- stipulates that dibs will only be allowed for a specific timeframe (like 24 hours)

I understand the frustrations people have, but lets remember this is not bidorbuy etc this is primarily a information site, the sales section is a "nice to have", from what i have noticed the people who mess others around, dont seem to last very long on MASA anyway

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I could maybe add an option and an explanation on the forms that explains what 'dibs' means and the agreed use of it when buying and selling something? Although I think we should all agree on what we are happy with with regards to the meaning of the word 'dibs'. So if you guys can come with an approved definition of 'dibs' then I will look into incorporating it somehow, BUT, it will still only be a guideline and we will not be able to police it as such.
    Agreed, but I think we still need to have a bit of give and take, but buyers do need to be considerate of the sale. Ultimately it is up to the seller what he wants to do and who he wants to sell the item to, we can not force that, everybody is different and we will always have issues such as these, we can only provide guidelines to try and keep a happy medium.

15. lIghty

lIghty

Viper is 100% correct, as for time limits, I think it is entirely up to the seller, he/she has the right to wait 2 months for someone to commit, or has the right to say, pay now or it goes to the next person, they will learn soon enough that they will loose other potential buyer if they wait to long!

16. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I'm all for it: dibs = 24 hours

17. newb

newb

i dont think there`s any reason for policing dibs but do understand africa offroads concerns.i too feel that the issue of accepting dibs are totally on the seller.

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Dibs pending pics and price should not even be possible since you need to specify a price and give a photo of the actual item when creating the thread. So the sellers are also not doing their part correctly in those situations.

19. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

In the old classified section, We use to have a button called "Commit to buy" what happened to it, i thought it was a great idea. Would put an end to all this, We also had a buyers and sellers rating, like ebay.
    Also
    What happened to the rules of pics of the item alot of the time its a link, or an pic of the tank when multiple items are for sale.

20. durleo

durleo

I dont know why we even bother - some sellers are not ethical in the sale forum - For instance I indicated that I wanted a fish first in someones thread and another buyer did a deal over PM - so i got shafted.

Recent Posts