Dibs if you splitting ????

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by VicZA, 24 Jul 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

One thing that really annoys me is when members do the whole "dibs if you splitting" call.

Why do people call dibs on stuff that is not up for sale ? If the member has a FULL SYSTEM up for sale (not splitting) then you should not be able to dibs on anything BUT the full system !!!! Surely !!!!

I see such amazing statements as "dibs ALL livestock, pending price, if you split" ... what does that mean ?? If the guy later decides to split you want to be first in line to sift through what you want before anyone else can ??? How fair is that ?? and what a massive headache for the seller to formulate who has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th dibs ....

My suggestion is that dibs can only be placed on what is STATED as advertised. If the seller decides that no one has bid appropriately on what he has put up, then he must close that thread and start a new one with pricing on individual items.
    @viper357 ... do you agree with this ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vetrix

Vetrix

You've got a better chance selling off your stuff individually anyway amongst the reefers here. I guess there are very few who would buy a full system considering that most of us have the essentials already and only need one or two items to complete our systems.

That's why people post dibs if the seller decided to sell individually. I really dont think it's such a big deal

4. leeban

leeban

IMO, Dibs if you split also gives the seller an indication of what will definitely be sold if he decides to split, giving him the option to decide if he wants to split or sell complete.

5. Dexter

Dexter

@VicZA I'm with you brother. If a person says he wants to sell complete systym then it means complete. Not dibs and now I must keep track. Annoys me as well...don't worry you not the only one it annoys!!!!!!

6. Spider21

Spider21

+1

if he can split and sell everything anyway, why not... also just my opinion.. i suppose everyone will have a different opinion on this

7. Jt143

Jt143

Guys what's worse is "dibbs if you splitting" or "dibbs pending price"
    Then when u give the price the guy undibs

Or guys that dibbs the second the add is placed then undibbs a few days later

Or guys dibbs on advertised price then when they pm u they say they will only take
    It if price is lowered

This is very unfair to the other guys! Also to the seller who loses potential buyers

I think there should be some certain rules
    1. Only dibbs once price is up
    2. Dibbs on advertised price only
    3 don't dibbs if u not gonna buy ( u should be banned from dibbs if u a repeat offender)
    4. No dibbs pending anything either u want it or not

8. leeban

leeban

Agree with this 100% :thumbup: . Its a problem on many forums.

9. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

There are many dibs and then some guys never pitch or don't take the items. These setups sells quicker when they are split. I am also with you on the guys that said dibs on all live stock pending on price. This is not up.

I have for unforeseen reasons sometimes undibs myself from a deal but I will clear it up with the seller and I will note it on the forum.

10. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

I want to agree here.

I never look at a FS Full system as i respect that is what the seller wants. Adding onto that. If a seller the later decides to split, they should then close the "full system" thread and open a "splitting" thread. Listing with prices what is for sale. CW's current thread being a perfect example of how it should be done. Being updated all the time. I feel that makes a sales thread so much more active. Keeps everyone updated. Dibs should be taken seriously and should be seen as a gentleman's agreement. As per sale rules, all negotiations should be done in the thread and then only can someone pm for address ect.

11. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

CW's thread is how it should work. Yes he updates it and everyone knows what is still up for sale etc. Also look at that thread as one example of people not collecting and they placing dibs all over the show.

12. sniper

sniper

The point of FS Full system as the name explicitly states, is for one to sell a system as a complete unit. So in my opinion to dibs certain things and not the full system defeats the purpose of the section.

However as mentioned earlier for a seller to have an idea of whether to sell seperately or not, "the dibs if you sell separately" assist in one making an informed decision (as you can have an idea of what items will be sold and not if you are to go the split route). If most things will be sold then it makes logical sense to sell seperate..

So my view is we need timelines to be defined before members are allowed to "dibs if you are splitting". Something like 1 week simply because if the full system is not sold in one week chances are slim that it would be sold without splitting it.. If no one buys the full setup in a week then members can start to dibs on seperate items.

13. DeanT

DeanT Dean

maybe we should look at the % of systems that get sold as a complete system before making judgement
    I don't believe many systems get sold complete as some members have said , most people on the forum have already got most of the equipment and looking to add or buy spares.

14. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

100%

I agree with you on that ... most people do just want to add the missing piece or two. But since when should I (as a seller or even an interested buyer) respect "dibs on ALL livestock pending price" .... I hope the guys means "you have 20 fish, you want R5k, I will take it" and not .... "ok, now that you splitting and no one else can get dibs on any livestock before I undibs it ... how much for the tang ? oh that's too much ... how about the wrasse? ok cool ... and the hermit? cool .... ok ... undibs all except wrasse and hermit " ........... that's not in the spirit of the FS section (surely?)

15. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@VicZA I agree with you.
    Livestock seems to be a very grey area and buyers are obviously exploiting this.
    I guess it comes down to the seller to state his / her terms of sale and go with it as they have the last say on how the sale will proceed.

Recently I pre reserved a pump and chiller pending the seller willing to split.
    Heard nothing for a while, and then suddenly the buyer said they were splitting the system but said the chiller and pump had been sold as the potential buyer contacted the seller before me.
    In theory I had reserved these way before the split and therefore I should be entitled to them first - right ?
    We'll I lost out and what can I now do about - nothing, as they decided to sell it to someone else.
    So I guess the seller determines the sale terms and the buyers must abide , if they like it or not

16. Clowning

Clowning

Is this hobby for the rich only? Looking at the FS section one can see that the Full systems hardly ever sell as a complete unit as not everyone has a few grand to throw around. Most people have established reefs, others would like to start but cannot afford a complete setup, some might just have enough for an item they need and you have it in your bundle or maybe just looking for a bargain.
    With that being said if you are going to dibs all the livestock to sift through after the price has been given then that is not fair. I don't think that "dibs if your are splitting" should be an issue as it gives the seller an indication as to who is interested in what and allows someone to get what they are looking for 2nd hand instead of having to pay full price. We all know that this hobby is not cheap and we can only grow it by helping others out with advise and a discount here or there;) Just my 2c:)

(a suggestion might be that in the FS section when posting your add you can list the items you have in your Full system and next to each item when the add is placed there will be a check box, So if you would like to dibs you just check the box and it enters you into a dibs queue and if you undibs you check the box again and you are removed?Maybe? that way you don't need to fight about who dibs first. Sorry that's another 3c:p)

17. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

+1

18. Zandy

Zandy

When i sold my systems i decided to go a different approach. I made one day available to all to view any goods they might be interested in. See it in working order and then if they happy they could place dibs but only on receipt of a deposit or full payment. I also updated all the time and my sale went very very smooth..

19. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

+1 Zandy your sales did go well, and then with the stuff you had left you sold it for cheaper prices...

20. Zandy

Zandy

Yup agreed.... and also gave some stuff away !! Just left with one light unit out of all our marine stuff

21. Brendan6

Brendan6

Personally...money comes before a dibs. If somebody dibs something they should have a very limited time to pay OR make sure the seller understands why he/she cannot pay ASAP.

I would feel 0% guilty selling something that someone has claimed dibs on if he fails to meet payment dead line once.

Also...when people state in CAPSLOCK that the system is for sale as a unit and NO SPLITTING, then people still dibs if splitting... a PK needs to be delivered.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2014
Recent Posts