Diamond goby trying to jump out

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziguri, 24 Oct 2014.

1. ziguri

ziguri

I just got a diamond goby today. Went around looking for egg crate with no luck, so i put him in anyway, hoping that he would be ok until i could find a suitable lid. When he first went in, he seemed ok at first, sifting sand, digging himself a hole etc. He didnt even flinch when the trigger pulled up next to him to have a curious look.

A few minutes in, it seems he was spooked by the blenny and the coral beauty and continues to get spooked by the clowns it seems.

It spent most of the night after trying to jump out ... swimming near the top etc. Ive pegged some see through material all over the top, with the hope that it will keep it jumping out. It tried making the jump a few times unsuccessfully. Lights are off now and it is sleeping on the sandbed. Could this be initial stress, and will it calm down soon enough?

I had to cut acclimation time a bit short, as i had already traveled a distance with the goby from LFS. Picked up from LFS at around 17:00 , started acclimating at 18:45 and put into the tank at 20:00 . Would have acclimated for at least two hours if not for traffic.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Johanbester3

Johanbester3

Gobies like jumping, lost a few already, even with egg crate on, they still managed to get out. Good luck.

4. Martinf

Martinf

Lost two because they jump out. Apparently its what they do.

5. Fred d

Fred d

A friend told me they tend to jump because of total barkness at night . He put his moonlight on at 1 persent and the jumping stopped . . Worth a try

6. 4age

4age

I lost one...didn't last one night in tank...jumped through gaps in egg crate

7. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

It tried jumping out several times last night but its still there. It is much calmer today since i switched the lights on again, its just been sifting sand and been hanging around in the corner on the sandbed. Hasnt gone for the food when i fed, but looks much more relaxed. Looks like it is building itself a home under and around a rock

Last edited: 25 Oct 2014
  8. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

btw, anyone know where i can get egg crate? Ive been around yesterday to half a dozen places who dont stock it. Or better yet, if somebody knows a place where i can find some clear/transparent mesh?

9. Fred d

Fred d

Down here in the cape you can get it from bellco electrical ... any electrical wholesaler should stock it

ziguri likes this.
  10. Porra

Porra

I can help you with egg crate 1200 x 600 for R220 per sheet.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Aluminium and Plastic garden netting from Builders Warehouse will work better. Depending on the size of the gobie. I lost 2 small clowns and firefish that jump through the eggcrate.

12. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Thanks Porra, will keep in touch if i do need some, but i think i will have a look at some netting instead, like Riaan has prescribed. Im using a rather makeshift net atm, but it is doing the job

13. Porra

Porra

Recent Posts