diamond goby appears!

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Muqhtar, 28 Aug 2010.

1. Muqhtar

Muqhtar

Hi guys! Last week I posted a thread enquiring about my 2 diamond gobies that I intorduced into my new tank.
    One of them appeared for brief moment now and again.after about 3 days he would sit outside his burrow.
    The other of the 2 had just dissapeared and I thaught he had died!...guess what! After 6 days in hiding, he has appeared!
    I was soo exited today to see him basking around and sifting sand all over!

Just thaught I would share that with you,as I almost thaught I had not dripped him properly.

Tank is almost ready for some new inhabitants and soon I would like to introduce some corals.

Any advise on which corals to start with?

Would it be advisable to put a powder brown tang into my tank?(I just fell in love with that fish when I saw it at the lfs)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Glad to hear all is well with your gobies. My powder brown has become very aggressive in the tank, and he is not that big so if you want less aggressive tangs (like a powder blue or something), I would add them first. He doesn't seem to bother anyone not of his species.

4. Muqhtar

Muqhtar Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise dude! I will make sure to do that! The pb tangs are beautiful!
    I will however introduce a yellow tang,a purple tang and perhaps a powder ble before I try the powder brown
    One what u think?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Gobies, needs older tanks, as their food is in the sand they sift. I had a golden head goby that ate flakes. So you could be ok.

Powder brown and blue are very prone to white spot. I think they are among the more difficult of tangs to keep. Regals as well. But not that prone.

Last fish I bough I took 4 hours to acclimatize. Also always either ask the pets shop or test the water in the bag before you start driping. Check the salinity. Fish only holding tanks at the LFS are running hypo salinity, 1.019. Their coral tanks are more normal at 1.024 to 1.025 (but normally more on the lower side) So take it extremely slow. I got myself a drip line from the pharmacy at the hospital, So much easier.

6. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I always thought the Powder Blue was a lot more aggressive than a Powder Brown?

(BTW: how did this thread end up in the Algae Section?)

7. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I think Powder blue need a very mature tank, so it would be practicly the last ling i put in ?

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

yup i would rate the PB and PB on the same level in terms of keeping them happy. Big tank with a mature system.

9. Muqhtar

Muqhtar Thread Starter

Thanks guys! For all that.most def will put the powders I last.
    As for my gobies...they are eating mize (small shrimp) and flakes aswell.
    So that's a relief!

As you all know,my tank is only 3 weeks old! So I don't think we are doing too badly!

10. colbar

colbar

So pleased the gobies turned up, but you really need to take it slowly as RiaanP said, they need a mature tank but you are lucky they are eating mysis and flakes.

11. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

I agree. I'd stick with what you have for a while. If you started from scratch, 3 weeks is not enough time to have cycled the tank yet. If you transferred from another tank, MAYBE, but still I'd take it slow.

12. Muqhtar

Muqhtar Thread Starter

I know it is soon!but I have put some live bacteria in as well as some old filter material from a friends tank.
    I have noticed some brown algea growing on my rocks...the rocks I put in are from a lfs that was in another guys tank before but
    He decided to take it all out and left it outside for a while so the life all died.

Should I be concerned about the light brown algea formig on some of the rocks?

Is that a good thing???

I have decided to stop stocking the tank with any more fish ad to wait at least another 2 weeks before I add anythig else as currently I have the followig in:

1 yellow and black striped damzel
    2 clowns
    2 diamond gobies

The damzel however is rather a dominannt fish and troubles my clows from time to time.

Recent Posts