Di Resin

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Momo, 28 Jul 2015.

1. Momo

Momo

My company sells Di resin for use in edm machines, does anyone know if this is the same resin used in our ro/di units?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I hope i don't get a infraction in trying to help and also stating my point. Please don't take this as i am having a go at anyone. :thumbup:

RANT
    It is extremely difficult and frustrating for members to give advice without adequate details. With a little more information(more the better), members that include many learned ones can help without repeatedly referring back for information. My point in this, and a large amount of other case, is why should I or other members have to go to the effort of finding out the media (this case an example)that is used by an unknown company on an unknown edm machine to give advice? Members are not mind readers peeps..

Rant over..

@Momo please advise the media (DI resin) specs. They should be available from your companies sales and or technical division. You will get a better response and help.:m106:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Momo

Momo Thread Starter

The resin used in EDM machines all the same.

Copolymer: Sulfonate styrene and divinylbenzene polymer + ethenyl - n,n,n - trimethyl benzenemethanaminium chloride and divinylbenzene polymer :m12:

i just can't find any specs on the resin used in the RO units otherwise i would do it myself. The question was more general as in someone that already knows.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:m106: Ok i dont know the exact specs but i will check for you and if compatible.

The best place to look for water purification is ROWA. Will check the makers name on a bulk bag i have.

6. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Clueless never ever heard of an edm machine.

7. Momo

Momo Thread Starter

Electric discharge Machine i.e wire cut, spark eroders, die sinking machines. They use the resin to clear the water of ions which interferes with the conductivity of electrodes or wire:)

From what i see it should be the same also uses hyrdogen/hydroxl exchange. My concern i would be more this is used for industrial purposes so don't know if it leaves behind other impurities. would be interesting since this stuff is a lot cheaper.

Some of the machines even have mineral filters up to 1 micron with a lifetime of over 10 years without changing any media with self flushing sensors etc so works like a pool pump filter. So if you want a serious ro unit:m106:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

had you ever tested the water with your TDS pen?
    Would be interesting.

9. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

thats a toy...not a serious ro unit
    and no ro membrane in the world will last you 10 years on industrial applications and still keep readings down....maybe thats why you guys use so much polymer resin

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
  10. Momo

Momo Thread Starter

There is no membrane;) it's a mineral filter like a pool filter but with special layers of different minerals. In EDM it filters out the metal particals that get in the water caused from the erosion of the work piece. The resin is for the remaining particals.

Advances in Wire EDM Filtration : MoldMaking Technology

11. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

then its not a ro unit:m85:

from that article they using a modified demin plant

Last edited: 30 Jul 2015
Recent Posts