Devon's Floating Reef

Reaction score
Hi guys

In case any of you are interested, I thought I'd share my version of a floating reef. I love the look of it and found my inspiration from this image I found
float.jpg

I have a 4ft tank. And I bought some PVC Ross from Maizey plastics and glued each section of rod to a clear flat PVC square.

I then roughed up the back of the PVC squares and siliconed them to the back of my tank.

I got some awesome purple branch type rock from Ree rock and zip tied it all together and it is supported beautifully.

Keen to see what you guys think
20180526_091735.jpg
20180526_091718.jpg
I also had white PVC cut to size as I want to run bare bottom, and the reflection is awesome off my Zetlight 6600

Reaction score
I think that looks epic. Could you not drill the LR and insert the rods into it thus hiding them?

Reaction score
Probably could but I went for the lightest rock I could so there isn't too much space. The rock covers 95% of the rods and there are clear PVC so it doesn't bother me at all.
I think that looks epic. Could you not drill the LR and insert the rods into it thus hiding them?

Reaction score
Insane bro! This tank is going to rock!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice looking tank. What are the specs?
330 l, running a Reeftek TS2 with a Bubble Magnus pump from @leslie hempel, running a Zetlight 6600, big refugium, carbon reactor and red devil uplift pump. I'll take a pic of my sump when I get home if You're interested. I have a dosing station, but as this tank is so new I have'nt started dosing yet.

Reaction score
Wow looks awesome!!!Are you not scared that those cable ties perish and break?Or will the rock hold?

Really cool looking tank!!!:slayer:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The rocks are generally pretty stable on the supports, the zip ties just sort of hold them tighter. Can zip ties perish in water? I thought plastic takes 200 years to disintegrate? Wow imagine the growth in 200 years:slayer::slayer::slayer:

Reaction score
The rocks are generally pretty stable on the supports, the zip ties just sort of hold them tighter. Can zip ties perish in water? I thought plastic takes 200 years to disintegrate? Wow imagine the growth in 200 years:slayer::slayer::slayer:
I have read somewhere on the forum of cable ties breaking after some time submerged in saltwater...i could be wrong as well.Anyway, it still looks insane!!

Reaction score
20180528_192324.jpg

Here is my sump setup

Filter sock on inlet pipe, reeftek ts2 skimmer, refugium and heater compartment, Zetlight macro algae light. Home made carbon reactor return pump and dosing station.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have read somewhere on the forum of cable ties breaking after some time submerged in saltwater...i could be wrong as well.Anyway, it still looks insane!!
this will take years to happen if at all... i would add a bit of aquamend or a reefconstruct putty to take this stress away just incase

Reaction score
@Devon . I like this build. Nicely done on the floating reef. How do you find the bare bottom? Do you have to clean it often to keep it that clean?

Keepit up. It's going to look good once those coral get to size.

Reaction score
@RealReefer I clean it once a week. I have a scrubbing brush with a long handle I use. It takes about 45 seconds to sweep the entire floor, so it is quite tedious

Top Bottom