Urgent help needed detritus

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by jono, 20 Sep 2013.

1. jono

jono MASA Contributor

hi fellow reefers.

Ive been having problems with my phosphate and nitrate for a few weeks now. Ive done huge water changes added no3/po4x and its helped for a couple days. Tonight i looked throught the whole tank and realized i had a lot of detritus on my rocks. Im currently in the process of upgrading my return pump to a more powerful pump but waiting for cash. I was thinking tomorrow i take a spare pump and blast all the rocks followed by a water change. Do you think this will help until i get a bigger return pump?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

That should help.
    How much flow do you have in your tank? Maybe increase circulation in the tank with flow pumps to prevent detritus from settling

4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Flow in the tank is very important as 459b stated. How does your other filtration look? Skimmer?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Return pump will not keep things in suspension until it goes over the overflow.
    What powerheads do you have in the tank.
    Maybe the internal flow is too low and you need a extra powerhead rather than a bigger return pump.

On that, what size system do you have? And what return pump do you currently use. And total of powerheads?

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Is it detritus of diatoms on the rocks?

7. erratiC

erratiC

Hey @jono,

I've got a couple spare return pumps if you'd like to borrow until you get your own?

Sicce Syncra 4.0 and another 5.0. They're seriously just sitting there doing nothing atm so I don't mind if you borrowed one for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good flow with the system is extreemly important, occasionally changing the pumps flow will also be beneficial as dead spots do occour with even the most turbulent flow if the pumps arent moved a little..

i often change pump positioning and up the flow every few months..

a clever trick i have seen some aquarists do (especially in bare bottom systems) is to positions pumps and flow in such a way to allow the detritus to collect in one corner and then simply syphon it out...

regular routine maintenance is a must for any system and if you have substrate i would recomend syphoning sections of it at times to help reduce trapped detritus... perhaps coincide with with waterchanges and alternate the areas to be syphoned as to allow the sand bed to repopulate with life you may have interrrupted...

9. jono

jono Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Currently i have two sun sun powerheads in the dt and the return is a halia but its not turning the tank enough as what ive been told is that i need a 3000lt per hour pump as the tank needs to turn at least 10 times per day. I have a ts2 skimmer and have a live rock chamber and a dsb and i have filter cloth in the overflow which gets replaced weekly. Last nyt i changed the direction of the powerheads so i will monitor it. Tomorrow i will blast the rocks with a spare powerhead i have and will do a water change after that.

10. jono

@erratiC if you really dont mind i would love to try that as i want to buy a dc pump and will run the chiller and the return as it is big enough. Pm me you details and we will chat. Thanks again apreciate the help

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. erratiC

erratiC

Cool, no probs. I'm not in DBN at the moment but I get back tomorrow evening. I'll pm you then, ok?

12. jono

Thanks no problem when your ready.

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Are you still using the No3-Po4-X? You need to carrying on using it. You can't just start a carbon dosing regime and them just stop, you will need to wean your tank off the NOPOX over a few days.

14. Fred d

Fred d

I had problems with settlement on the rocks and GJA that disappeared when I put a good flowpump into the dt . A bigger returnpump might help a bit but might upset other things like a dsb

15. jono

I was dosing no2po4x and i did slowly stop. in terms with putting a bigger return disturbing the dsb the depth of water above the dsb is alot so dont think that will be a problem. I took a spare powerhead and blew the rocks and WOW alot of sediment and then i did a water change and replaced the filter cloth so i will monitor it closely, prob do water changes weekly and vacum as much as i can for the next few weeks. I also changed my powerhead positions so lets see.

Thanks for all the advise

16. jono

Hey guys i installed a sicce syncra 5 in the tank thanks to erratiC and wow its a beast my tank went snow white and wow its powerful. Im gonna split the return to also run the chiller so i can cut out one pump. Currently according to the pump cure its delivering 4200lts per hour. So lets see if all starts to get better. Wish me luck. Once again thanks erratiC

17. erratiC

erratiC

Hehe, anytime Jono. Hope you come right. :)

Recent Posts