Detritus Settlement

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Theo, 22 Jan 2012.

1. Theo

Theo

Hi all.

I would like some advice from fellow reefers

Ive got this severe detritus settlement on my LR wich doesnt want to go away.
    I've tried everything, nothing seems to work and I'm really fed up....

Just a few tank specs:
    DT: 1300x55x60
    Sump: 2 sumps. !st have got skimmer feed pump, refugium and cheato. @nd is a dedicated DSB fith return pump.
    Lighting is done with 6 t5 tubes
    Skimmer: SRO BB3000external
    LR: +- 75 kg
    Live stock: magnificent fox face, lipstick tang, 2xpercula clowns, 3x chromis, 3x dispar anthia, sand gobbys, 2x cleaner shrimp and a porcelain crab.

Heres a pic of the tank

[​IMG]

Now heres my problem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm very sorry for the bad photos. If its to unclear I'll take better pics.
    Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

Looks like you need more flow

4. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

Thats what I was thinking, went to my LFS, talked to them and they thought the same.
    got a ekstra pump.
    I've now got 1x 12000l/h; 1x 5000l/h and a 3000l/h flow. total of 20 000l/h flow.

The tanks parameters is:

NH3: 0
    No2: 0
    NO3: 50(a bit high, was above 100, did 8 10%water changes, came down to 50,still waiting for DSB to kick in as the dedicated DSB sump have been running for 3 months, so should kick in any day soon)
    SG: 1,026
    Temp: 26,1deg

Could the settlement be because of the NO3?
    I'm really fed up with this...

5. Tony

Tony

All you pumps seem to be blowing up. Try and lift them and point them down a bit.

Your gobies could also be kicking up the sand although the stuff on your rocks doesnt look like detritus but its difficuilt to say from the picture. Your nitrates are a bit high considering the amount of fish you have. Do you feed heavily at all? Do you dose bacteria at all to help with the nitrates

Jeann1 likes this.
  6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

More random water flow would help here, if you put 2 pumps on opposite sides of the tank directed at each other you would create a turbulant flow in the water colum thus keeping the detritus in suspension and will be fed to your skimmer to remove.`

7. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

I've done that, but maybe put both the 3000l/h and the 5000l/h on one side of tank and the 12 000l/h on the oppisite side and direct the 3000 and the 5000 to the 12 000...... What do you guys think? Does anybody know where I can get a celith snail? (Don't know if I spelled that correctly)

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Are you worring about detritus as in silt/dirt etc settling on your rocks or are you worring about GHA? it looks from the pics...may be wrong and they just blury...but it looks like you have GHA growing on the rocks.

Snails are not going to solve the detritus build up...thats purely a flow aspect as it shouldnt be allowed to settle in the first place. They may help by feeding on it, but you are not solving the problem you need to look at the cause and work from there.

9. Tony

Tony

That will be perfect if you have a wavemaker. It could be a bit more tricky if the flow is constant as that can stress corals out, especially ones that dont like too much flow, which in turn stresses you out and you spend your waking moments permamnently adjusting pumps to optimise the flow

10. 2balive

2balive

Hi

Are you sure it is detritus? E.g. does it blow off? Looks more like something growing on the rock?

I had something like this on one of my rock surfaces, it was un inverted (upside down surface). Eventually (3 months) went away by itself.

How old is the tank/DSB?

11. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

That looks like a fluffy growth to me... mines went away after a month or so. goes away even faster when you use less lights.

12. AndrévN

AndrévN

Tell me, any cleaning crew in there buddy. Hermet crabs, turbo snails etc. if any how many. What feeding regime you employ etc. Phos remover? How clean is the water you use? What globes you using and how old are they?

13. SteveZi

SteveZi

how does your overflow work?
    a standup pipe may not catch enough particles to take down to the sump.

14. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

Thanks for the coments guys. Firstly, the wavemaker is in the pipeline, that's up next... The stuff on the rock looks like brown fluffy debris, when I brush it slightly it comes of, not to difficult but also not so easy. PO4 is 0(salifert test) and the RO water TDS reading is 0,01. I've got a phosphate reactor with seachems seagel. All globes is giesseman, about 2 months old.
    Thanks for all the help guys...

15. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

Its a corner overflow. This is just m logic, but if water flow into overflow, there's nowhere else to go but to the sump... And directly into feedpump of skimmer...

16. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

I'll try to upload better pics tonight. Then u all can see what exactly it looks like...

17. SteveZi

SteveZi

yes, the water may flow into the overflow, but the suspended detritus particles may not (hence the build up in your main tank.
    If you look closely at the small particles in the water, you might be able to see if adequate amounts are being sucked over, or if they start to fall to the bottom before reaching the overflow.

18. AndrévN

AndrévN

All of this seems more than fine then. Is your skimmer skimming enough or properly and do you have strong flow in your display. Might be necessary to blow of the stuff from the lr manually more often until you up the flow in the main display and get the lose particals to get transferred into your sump. All is not always lost and more often than not we overlook certain things until they are more obvious or we cannot stand looking at the problems they produce no more.

19. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

OK, I am really clueless.... I've moved the pumps to all ways possible, but nothing seems to work.

Please people, PLEASE help....
    Heres some new (better) fotos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know its a lot of fotos, but I think it should explain my problem better...
    Thanks for the input..

20. chas84

chas84

Get your tank a smallish tuxedo urchin. I had the same problem on my liverock a few months ago until I added the urchin. He does a great job keeping the rocks clean. Just be patient though and don't go out and buy the biggest one or a few in the hopes to get the problem sorted out faster. You'll still have to continue looking for the cause though.

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

blow your rocks clean on a daily basis with a turkey baster or small handheld pump by directing its waterflow to lift detritis off rocks. have filterwool in overflow to pick up the loosened muck. do this for a week and then you will notice a decrease in problems

Recent Posts