Detritus in dsb

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by frankie fish, 6 Jul 2012.

1. frankie fish

frankie fish

I have a bit of a problem,i have a dsb in my sump,a rdsb,and sea sand in my display tank. On all 3 i have detritus settlement,not visible to see,but when the sand is disturbed,the detritus can be seen. This worries me,because it now came to such point,that i suspect my nutrient levels to be high,reason for that,i am starting to get cyno. Can anybody pls give me advise? Regarding flow,in my dt i have good flow,as well in my rdsb.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

In the display you will need something that will turn the sand bed over such as a sand sifter star or a goby. But be aware that they will wuickly strip the sandbed of all life and will then need additional feeding such as frozen foods. This is actually the only thing that helped me get rid of the cyano.

You will have a very dirty tank for a few weeks as all the crap is released into the water column. I used a filter sock to catch as much of it as I could and cleaned it every day.

4. frankie fish

frankie fish Thread Starter

I have 2 gobies in my display tank,no change at all.

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If they are the yellow watchman gobies in your avatar then its not the same gobies as I am referring to. You need the sand sifters, Valenciennea specie.

6. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

Frankie I believe based on my experience, flow is the biggest deterrent to cyno . Over the years I had come to accept that GHA and cyno were an inevitible stage that one had to go through in the tank maturation / stability process. In my latest setup, I have very strong flow - strong enough that if I didn't have a "gravel tidy" 25cm below the top level of my DSB in my DT, the pumps would scour through the DSB in certain areas right down to the glass base.
    Despite having high nutrient readings ( 50 ppm nitrate - running NPS system so high feeding ) this is the 1st setup that I have not gone through any GHA / cyno cycle whatsoever - tank been running for 10 months now. The only sign of cyno is the area between the glass and the sandbed which should actually be covered by cladding which I have not got round to doing yet.
    Must say my Diamondback Goby also helps to ensure the sand stays pristine and will often dig down between the glass and sandbed to reach the cyno

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Detritus settlement on the DSB is normally a sign of not enough water flow. You most likely need to upgrade your return pump. How wide is your sump, from front to back?

8. frankie fish

The sump dsb is about 600x450,and my rdsb is a standard off the shelf 4ft tank. In the rdsb i have 3x1200lph powerheads,and a feeding pump of 2000lph. I have no cyno in my sump dsb,and in my dt,i have 4x5000lph sun-sun wavemakers. Also,the colour of the cyno is a green/brownish colour,will upload some pics. I stopped carbon dosing,added phosgaurd and purigen. The globes of my mh's is roughly a year old,and the 80w T5's are all less than 6months. All the corals are opening nicely,with the exception of the star polyps.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a sump that is 450 wide needs a return pump that at least deliver 3000L/h at the head height. So a pump of 4000 or more should be ideal.
    The reason for a bigger pump would be that you increase the water head height over the last overflow. Meaning you increase the flow rate in the DSB

10. frankie fish

I will make sure bout the return pump of the sump in the morning,but the feeder pump,from the sump to the 4ft rdsb,is a 2000lph pump

Recent Posts