Detailed form submitted: shiks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by shiks, 31 Oct 2011.

1. shiks

shiks

Detailed help request
    Are you experiencing any problems in your tank?
    Yes
    Brief Description
    Over the last year or so water has taken on a green hue.
    Tank size
    1.5 x 700 x 700
    System Volume
    +- 700l
    How long has your tank been running?
    2 years
    What livestock do you have?
    Regal, Nasau, foxface, coral beauty, 7 Pygamas and 4 Flame Gobies

GTBA, Purple Nennie, Giant clam, Anemone torch corals, Gorgonian + too many more to mention
    Water Parameters
    temp @26/27
    all other params are within med bordering to high but have steadily been coming down over the last 2 months.

Had an alk spike causing a major wipeout
    Salinity is spot on
    What lighting is over the tank?
    6 x 54w T5s and 2 x 150w MH
    Pumps and equipment
    2 x Sun sun Vibration pumps 15000lph
    2 X Resun Wavemakers 10000lph
    with only 2 switched on at variable intervals
    Maintenance
    4 x 25l drums 3 times a month for the last 2 months but previously 4 x 25l every month

Have had this issue progressivley over the last 1.5 years or so ...and have done a full light change of all tubes 8 months ago with 2 brand new MH as well 3 weeks ago
    Other info and photo's.
    Green ish colouration on water looks worse from the side panes as it does from straight on ......

Green colour persists even with all the lights off and blue moonlights on.

It was very sublte at first but over the last year has been very dominant....i have always dismissed it thinking it had to do with params or maybe not enough water changes but when i had a mishap this year and practically restarted the tank again doing a 400l water change the colour did change then back to green ish after 1 week.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have started putting carbon in a bag in sump to see if it polishes water or makes any difference but 2 weeks and still nothing fantastic

[​IMG]

any suggestions would be welcome :)

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Its DOCs that causes it. Running carbon will polish the water nicely and take it back to clear. Get some carbon from the waterboy, its magic. I had yellowing water and it cleared 100% withing 2 days.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  5. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

ok heres a comparision

[​IMG]

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The carbon has to be in a decent reactor to work through. I had a some no name brand carbon in bags in the sump that did nothing.

7. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

and yes the lights were brand new back then but this is the actual water being greenish tinge .....only other thing i can think of is the glass laminate showing greener than normal but its still only 10mm and i know its far noticeble thicker than 15mm upwards

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you could also try Liquid Crystal, which is liquid ROWAphose, works wonders...
    the water seems like its algae in the water column, a fine mesh will help mechanically filter the water.

the previous solution was Diatom filter, but they are very hard to find.

9. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

@mariusmeyer ...i had my doubts abt it as well but supposedly hanging it in a high flow area is supposed to polish water ( im still on the fence on this one )

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Fully agree with the good brand of GAC to clear the water. Shiks are you doing any form of Carbon Dosing like Vodka?

11. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

when the tank crashed everything that didnt look right was either chucked or cleaned ....except ...for the overflow chamber .....whats the chance of a green algae being happy and multiplying nicely wedged in there ???????

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I dont trust stuff in bags in high flow areas. It never worked for me. And as I see it only the outer layer will get decent flow. Once the water hits the bag it gets deflected around it and the water does not go through all the media.

13. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

NO NO NO dosing ....my negligence crashed everything 2 months back ...no vodka just pushing water changes till we get the tank healthy again

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Looking at the pics again it appears that you have some cyano as well. This is also due to DOCs in the water column. So you could possibly klap 2 issues at once.

15. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

If the greenish tinge is in the water, then it is a suspended algae and is waiting to bloom, check nitrate and phosphate readings. Check the TDS readfings from your RO water. Still run a good quality carbon to reduce DOC levels.

16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you can also add a filtersock filled with floss and scrub the water

17. Tridan

Tridan

Shiks take some water out in a nice big glass vase or something clear, check if the water is still green in there, if it is you might have a strain of chlorella algae in your system.

How much natural sunlight does your tank receive?
    What skimmer are you using,
    Water changes wont remove Chlorella, you would more than likelly have to run a uv filter for a while, maybe.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2011
  18. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

tank gets ambient sunlight from 6 to 7 30 in the morn and thats abt it ....no direct sunliight.....skimmers are a ts3 and a AM turboflotor(old school)....does a Uv filter sterilise water in such a way as to take away the tinge???

19. Tridan

Tridan

Cool, what the uv will do is kill the strain of algae that is currently waterborne in your system.
    unfortunately it will also take out anything else it comes into contact with, good or bad.

Just make sure it is chlorella, any body close to you that breeds clowns they could possibly confirm this for you.

20. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Well here is what I would do :
    - adjust skimmer to skimmer wet (this will pull out some of the algae that is blooming in the water also will assist the system in removing excess waste and ammonia possibly fueling the algae bloom)
    - insure you have good water flow through some GAC preferably in a reactor( will assist by removing excess nutrients and any coloration caused by foods additives etc.)
    - Cut back on the dosing of any nutrients to the system as this will encourage the growth of the algae
    - Yes a UV will help but it's not the solution to the problem ( if you do use a uv this will also decrease your general bacteria count take caution. Also flow contact space and time are important)
    - You will find when testing that your phosphate levels are higher than recommended, your nitrates are also elevated your KH is also possibly a little low.

Let's us know what your water parameters are and I should be able to help a little more.

21. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

thanks guys for all the helpful advice will test water today and post the results later....took another pic yest ....checked the water in a vase and it looks clear???...still cant figure it out but am tired of green water so have decieded to change lights next week ....6 new Geissman t5s should make a small difference and have sorted a Uv unit to run for while or at least till it improves ...NP reactor install next week as well to assist so will see from there ....will try with the skimmer wetter and see if that makes a difference .....my phosphates are def high and i do know my alk was an issue 1 month back ....so will know more when i get the readings later ....

i also know i am defitely not over dosing anything or overfeeding so will see from here
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2011
Recent Posts