Detailed form submitted: kassimere

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by kassimere, 8 Jan 2015.

1. kassimere

kassimere

Detailed help request
    Are you experiencing any problems in your tank?
    Yes
    Brief Description
    Tank is still new and thus lots of space. Introducing at least 3-4 corals per month.

Been losing LPS corals lately, even softies (mostly ricordea's). Not all at once. Frequency is about 1 or 2 per month.
    Corals will do great for a month or 2, then just recline and die. Lost 2 hammers, some ricordea's, bubble coral in the last 3 months. One of 2 not looking great right now. SPS's doing great. Have about 12 frags - some have quadrupled in size.
    Tank size
    1.5mx650x650
    System Volume
    650L
    How long has your tank been running?
    7 months
    What livestock do you have?
    Blue Tang
    Sailfin Tang
    Clownfish
    Mandarin
    Hammer
    GSP
    SPS's
    Zoas
    Elegance
    Plate
    Ricordea
    Open brain
    Leather
    Mushrooms
    Water Parameters
    Alk: 9.4
    Phosphate: 0
    Magnesium 1440
    Calcium: 470
    ph: 8.2
    Salinity: 34 ppt
    What lighting is over the tank?
    Ecotech Radion G3
    Pumps and equipment
    Hydor Koralia x 2
    Maintenance
    40% water change once a month
    Other info and photo's.
    -

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Are the corals under the radions directly? What percentage are you running the radions on? Hiw many radions?

Also is this happening after the 40% water change? Are you feeding the corals?

You dont mention no3 and nh4 values, what are those?

What suppliments are you using?

4. Criggy

Criggy

Maybe you do not have enough nutrients available for the LPS - either this or something to do with lighting. Do you dose trace elements? Do you fee your LPS?

5. kassimere

kassimere Thread Starter

I'm dosing fuel once a week. I'm not feeding the corals anything directly at the moment. Dosing Iodide once a week as well.

Radions running 30% at the moment. I tried to up that to 45% but got a nice outbreak of red cyano. Affected corals were not directly under the radions.

The decline is a gradual process. Both the hammers that I lost slowly receded over a period of roughly a month - in other words the water change did nothing to cause/ prevent this.

I'm still building up my test kit range - hence no values on the no3 or nh4 - but recon wayward readings on those 2 would definitely affect the other livestock as well.

At this stage I'm leaning towards one of these 3:
    1) simply to much flow
    2) feeding/ nutrients
    3) elevated/ too low levels of iodine or other element

6. Criggy

Criggy

Are your clownfish hosting any of the LPS? Or are any of the other fish knocking up against them? Id definitely test nutrient levels before jumping to conclusions. Whats your flow rate in the tank? Where are your LPS placed? Pics?

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Are you perhaps putting the corals too close together? A lot of LPS have very long sweeper tentacles and can attack/sting other corals close to them.

8. kassimere

kassimere Thread Starter

no - only grouped some of the Euphyllia's together. In fact one of 2 that didn't make it was very close to such a group (2 x hammers and a frogspawn). Had it for 2 months - was doing awesome. Just one day decided it's time to go - lost one head after the other - again this didn't happen overnight. But then had the same experience with a few more corals - which really make me don't want to add ANY LPS at the moment...This is really puzzling. The rest is doing great. Saw new heads developing on my candy cane this morning - which have been around 6 weeks in my tank.

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Do you get brown jelly disease?

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

With the water changes you are doing, don't bother for iodine, infact it's probably being overdosed, there is no proven need for iodine dosing and a good quality salt will be enough.
    Focus on these Params in the following order for importance
    Alkalinity - choose a value and keep it constant, make sure the salt you use for water changes is the same or close to your tanks value, pointless having a tank value at 8 and your salt is 12

pH - this is important for fish and depending on your Alk dosing can be affected

Ca - keep stable

Mg - the "glue" that binds skeletogenesis, not a major but keeping stable can stop ionic imbalances etc

PO4 and NO3 keep as close to 0 as possible, a good GFO and vinegar will keep algae away.

Keep dosing the fuel, but if nh4, po4 and no3 start to climb cut down on feeding.

As for water changes, cut back to max 30% per month, maybe bi-monthly

11. kassimere

kassimere Thread Starter

Thx Dallas - will do.

Recent Posts