Detailed form submitted: jurgen glissmann

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jurgen glissmann, 18 Dec 2011.

1. jurgen glissmann

jurgen glissmann

Detailed help request
    Are you experiencing any problems in your tank?
    Yes
    Brief Description
    high nitrate 4.5 Can't get it down for the past year. My tank crashed a year ago - error in salinity. I wonder if the live rock is now dead. How can one tell?
    Tank size
    900 x 52 x 47 cms (external)
    System Volume
    40 gallons
    How long has your tank been running?
    1 year
    What livestock do you have?
    Don't know names of everything - I will try to include photos.
    yellow tang, kole tang, 1 occelaris clown & 1 tomato clown fish, wrasse, royal gramma, 2 yellowtail demoiselle, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, a few snails.
    Galaxy, brasica colt, green brain coral, bubble coral,kenyan tree coral, green/brown mushrooms.
    2 anemones
    Water Parameters
    Alkalinity (dkh): 8
    Calcium: 280
    Phosphate: not tested
    Magnesium:1290
    pH: 8.39
    Nitrite: not tested
    Nitrate: 45mg/l
    Ammonia: not tested
    Salinity: 1024
    Temperature:26/27C
    What lighting is over the tank?
    2 x Sylvania Coral star FHO39W/T5 actinic blue (length 90cms)
    4 x Sylvania Aquastar 10000K FHO39W/T5/174 (length 90cms). The lights are on for 11 hours daily.
    Pumps and equipment
    2 x Tunze Turbelle 6045
    1 x Tunze Turbelle 6055
    Aqua Medic Ocean Runner 3500l
    TurboFlotor Multi SL Skimmer (with Ocean runner 2500l pump)
    Carbon reactor, phosphate reactor, D-
    D chiller DC 300, RO unit. I also have a calcium reactor KR1000 + Co2 bottle + regulator which I have been using for a year but I want to sell it.
    Maintenance
    I do water changes (20litre) every 2 weeks. I use SERA Marine salt + R/O water.
    I was using AquaMedic Ocean light (metal halide) up to 3 weeks ago but have changed back to T5's.Change carbon once monthly and phosphate every three months. I manually dose daily the Two-part Calcium & alkalinity Supplement (recipe downloaded from Net)
    Other info and photo's.
    I've tried all afternoon to upload photos but can't manage. They are in jpeg format and I don't know how to change them. I will ask a friend tomorrow then upload.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

HI,

Are you sure your calcium is 280 ? that is very low and should be 420-450.

What test kits are you using ? what type of filter materials ?

I will also increase the waterchanges to weekly to help bring nitrate down but maybe with a better quality salt..

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You've given 2 different readings for your Nitrate?
    If it's 4.5 then there's nothing major to worry about, it's an acceptable level, especially as you only have LPS and soft corals. If you've been struggling to get it down for over a year then perhaps try a different test kit just to make sure.

As Jacques pointed out, your Calcium is very very low, is the Calcium Reactor running or are you only doing the 2 part dosing? If you're just doing the dosing then you need to double check you have the correct ingredients/quantities or perhaps a faulty test kit, especially as you are dosing daily?

5. jurgen glissmann

jurgen glissmann Thread Starter

Yes, the calcium is 280. I test every week. I am using Sera test kits. I have checked the expiry dates on these just in case. The calcium reactor is running and I am dosing as well. I have already checked the recipe to ensure I have made up the dosing solutions correctly. I just can't raise the level.
    I made an error on the nitrate - should read 45mgs/l.
    I will buy some new test kits. What brand do you recommend?
    Tks for suggestion to do water change every week - no Christmas holiday for me, hey?

6. jurgen glissmann

Sorry, forgot to mention the filter system. I had a Fluval filter until a year ago when I changed to 2 deep sand beds in sump and about 2inch sand in display tank. What salt do you recomment? I thought SERA was good?

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Read the Links...some really good Info...;)

8. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Salifert Test kits are mostly used and you can have a look at Tropic Marin as well..

Can you tell me how deep your sandbeds are ?

Salt ill either change to Seachem,Tropic Marin,Deltec,Brightwell all good salts with the correct amounts of calcium.

I would first test the calcium with a new Test kit to make sure its at 290 because it looks suspicious because your Magnesium is almost where it should be.

Let us know what the new test kit says

9. jurgen glissmann

Thanks you guys & gals. I am blown away by your quick response. My 2 sump sandbeds are 140mm and the display tank sandbed is 70mm.
    I will continue thread when I buy new test kits and re-establish where i'm at.

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A cycle period is 6 weeks. If the tank crashed a year ago, then those rocks should be fine by now.

Just a shot into the dark.
    What substrate are you using?

12. jurgen glissmann

Jurgen has gone off to Sam's to buy new test kits. I will find out what substrata - I just remember it was very expensive. I have managed (I think) to load some photos with the Image uploader. Hope you can all view them. I am unfamiliar with how to save them in the proper place.
    the reluctant but involved wife - Carmel

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

to the reluctant but involved wife, the rock structure up against the back will cause some issues. You will not have enough water flow around and under them and will cause dead spots.

Either re-stack to open up a bit, or put another power head behind the rock work, just to create extra flow, blow out detritus settlement and prevent dead spots.

[​IMG]

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree with RiaanP, the rocks and deep gravel in the tank might be causing some of the nitrates.
    do you clean the gravel at all?

maybe use a power head to "blow" behind the rocks to clean things etc

gMAN likes this.
  15. jurgen glissmann

There is a Tunze pump behind the rocks on the back glass of the display tank, blowing left to right. We use a turkey baster and sometimes a powerhead to blow off the rocks before we do the water change, and we also suck the detritus from the gravel. However, we have now discovered that the underlayer of gravel is compacted so probably anaerobic. Possibly too deep a sandbed, what do you think?
    The rock is too densely packed and does touch the glass in quite a few places. We will have to do a re-build.
    Re-tested with Salifert. Nitrate 50; Kh 8.2; Ca 320. Jurgen also bought Seachem De-Nitrate and has put it in sump.
    He can't remember what brand of sand he bought for the sumps but it is sugar fine.
    He thinks it is coral sand in the display tank.

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

What carbon are you using? Is it proper Granular Activated Carbon? If so, how often do you change it?

To be honest, your tank and all livestock looks really good.

17. jurgen glissmann

Yes, it is a granulated carbon bought at Sams. No brand name = clear plastic container with red lid at R69.95 each. I change it once a month.
    I have decided to take out most of the gravel and re-scape the tank. Have to eliminate the 'dead spots' under the rock. I have checked out the MASA section on aquascaping and feel inspired to make the changes.
    Thnk you.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

so you have to post an after picture.

Do not remove the gravel in go. Take out some. And 2-3 days later a bit more. Until you have the amount you want in the tank.

19. jurgen glissmann

OK - will do. Don't hold your breath for a new photo - considering what a problem I had to upload the first lot!!

Recent Posts