Detailed form submitted: Francois van Zyl

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Francois van Zyl, 14 Mar 2012.

1. Francois van Zyl

Francois van Zyl

Detailed help request
    Are you experiencing any problems in your tank?
    No
    Brief Description
    i want to know if one could keep sash butterfly fish, wild caught from cape town area, in a tropical tank with clowns and damsel fish
    Tank size
    120cm
    System Volume
    -
    How long has your tank been running?
    7months
    What livestock do you have?
    -
    Water Parameters
    -
    What lighting is over the tank?
    -
    Pumps and equipment
    -
    Maintenance
    -
    Other info and photo's.
    -

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@Francois van Zyl

i take it you are refering to the Cheatadon Marleyi butterfly which we find in abundance along our coastline.

to answer your question i personally havent has sucess but i have heard of success stories of keeping these butterflies and i have even heard of one even where 2 were paired and mated withing a 4ft home aquarium.

generally the main requirement for these butterflies is a good stable water temp of approx 18-20deg being from our colder waters they seem to succumb to the higher tropical temperatures our targeted species origionate from, so mixing them may be troublesome or require one or the other to weaned to a higher or lower temperature..

on the flip side some people seem to have no effort keeping them at all at normal room temperatures..

what is your intended system? FOWLR? temperate or mixed reef?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Francois van Zyl

Francois van Zyl Thread Starter

thanks for the help.thing is i have kept them in a aquarium before and had success. i was just wondering if they will have ill effect on any of my petshop boyzz. lol. how big of a risk is it putting wild harvested anamones etc in with my tank occupants? I put 3 anamones in and the damn zebra damzel started chowing them? are they usually anamone destructave fish?

i am new to keeping tropical marines, so at this stage i am just setting up a tank with what i can afford. probably not more than 6 fish and try 2 or so nice anamones.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the problem is you are mixing 2 temperature zones and this is where you will pick up trouble.. as these fish and anemones dont frequent the same area they may be food for one another aswell...

but personally i am more worried about the stress exherted on a colder water species being but with a more tropical one.. as it will result in continious outbreaks of whitespot untill a happy medium in temp is found to suit both parties...

6. Francois van Zyl

Francois van Zyl Thread Starter

ok thanks for the info. guess i will let the idea fly until i can set up a second tank with a chiller unit.

Recent Posts