Detailed form submitted: chikaboo

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by chikaboo, 15 Sep 2010.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Detailed help request
    Are you experiencing any problems in your tank?
    No
    Brief Description
    Anyone got experience or tips on trying to raise boxing shrimp ..... This pair are in like a "frag tank" of some sorts plumbed into the main system ..... They used to be in separate tanks but have been together now for about 3 to 4 weeks in the same tank
    Tank size
    1450mm x 250mm x 300mm
    System Volume
    1000 Ltres
    How long has your tank been running?
    2 Years
    What livestock do you have?
    The only other "livestock" that is in the tank is a small keyhole angel (+/- 4 cm's) and a local glass shrimp (+/- 2 cm's) .... There are also a few hermits but like 1 to 2 cm's and a few corals (softies) zoas, shrooms and a kenyan tree
    Water Parameters
    -
    What lighting is over the tank?
    2 x 54W t5
    1 x 8 watt
    2 x 39 watt T8 blue moon lights
    1 x 150 MH
    1 x 70 MH
    Pumps and equipment
    1 x M1500 Seio
    Maintenance
    -
    Other info and photo's.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hey Vishal, to raise shrimp you need to be able to feed the babies that make it with some of the tiny stuff man. I'm talking green water and newly hatched brine shrimp. You also need to cater for their shells generating, so enough elements in there for them to draw from from their shells. I think its Iodine if i remember correctly? Cant quite remember details right now but giving you what ideas i can think of..

4. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx buddy ... my concerns are the keyhole eating all the critters up and you thinking their food should be so small (as in Green water)? Been through a thread on I think was Ultimate Reef or something like that where they where started immediately on brine shrimp ... which I have plenty available to hatch ..... Maybe I should abandon the 2.5M reef and give the whole tank for these "naughty" shrimps:lol:

Last edited: 15 Sep 2010
  5. scubaninja

scubaninja

lol na. before long they would start ripping each other up. They keyhole will indeed nail any little ones that somehow survive, as well as eating all the brine, thy definitely need their own tank for this.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Damn and the poor keyhole is getting nailed on the 4 times I tried to introduce him to the 6 foot by the bi-colour I got from you awhile back ..... Never mind will see what plan ... I take it this will be and on going thing with the shrimps .... how often .... Can I safely say they a pair now and the chances of them "boxing" one another to death is slim? Then can start working on getting them their own "newly wed couple's home" .... BTW how long before I see this happening again (like how often are there going to be eggs released) and I take it if he looking "thin" again then all eggs released?

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

No, no more boxing :) my first air (they were tiny) got eaten by my fire shrimp :D Um, i think they release eggs fairly often, once a month maybe? I'm guessing here, its never happened to me so i dunno. Yeah that bicolour was vicious :p Maybe the keyhole goes into the 2.5 when its set up?

8. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Hey this naughty boy is getting greener by the day and looks like he's gonna pop getting fatter and fatter .... how long more before he explodes .....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts