Desperately looking for tips to tune my RO XP1000SSS skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Sammy, 2 Oct 2011.

1. Sammy

Sammy

This skimmer is now 5 months in my system and driving me loopy, no matter what I do I just cannot get it to skim dry ??? surely by now it should be broken in ???

Tried countless options, raised and lowered water level in sump, even tried closing the silencer a little with some prestic to make finer bubbles but to no avail.

When water level sits low, I does build up but I can leave it for 2-3 days and no skimmate overflows ???

ANY input or tips would be appreciated ???

No problem in skimming wet, as seen below ???

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Use the gate valve to adjust water level in skimmer. And do it in very small adjustments. By small I mean 1/8th of a full turn. Leave the skimmer for a day between adjustments.

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

Some skimmers skim wetter than others. Are you dosing microbelift special blend? How often are your hands in your tank?, do you dose carbon or vodka?

5. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

@mariusmeyer, thanks dude, I try the gate value all the time, I adjust extremely carefully, but I cannot seem to get it ???

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Not dosing anything you have mentioned besides amino acids and the normal, alk, ca, and seldom Mg

I can get it to build up foam and overflow a little, but nothing more seems to happen even after 2 days :)

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Maybe there is nothing to skim. If handz go into tank skimmate is low due to oils. I found that to get my skimmer to operate drier I dosed a cple of mls of vodka on a daily basis. Other guys dose it to reduce nitrates im the only malie dosing to help my skimmer.ps I can also feed fearlessly now

8. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

I try my best to keep my hands out of the tank, not dosing vodka, because in my opinion I have a hectic scrubber and refuge and tank seems to be running fine, wondering should I try starting with vodka ???

9. erratiC

erratiC

It's not a bad idea - your skimmer will go bos and provided that u read up on dosages your tank will be better for it.

I do suggest adding some biodigest to go with it though.

edit:

Have a lookie here for a good read on Vodka dosing.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@Sammy just a word of caution, before going with a carbon sorce dosing routine please research it carefully.

as for the skimmer.. i am puzzled.. is the water level in the chamber not fluctuating? causing an erratic skimming action? this was the main reason i chose to go with an external skimmer as i could have more controll on the waterlevels and flows fed to it..

Cones/semi cons skimmers are very sensitive to changes in water levels..

11. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

Is that the BB3000? I have the same skimmer, have never been able to convince it to skim dry. So I just let it be. Also very sensitive to acitivities around the tank. Sometime even a water change will make it overflow. So when I work on the system I allways turn off the skimmer and turn it on some time after.

And yes, the gate valve should be adjusted in VERY small steps.

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Uhm. dont know the skimmer as such, but the skimmate in the one above looks perfect to me. Skimming wet the skimmate would almost be clear like water.
    I would adjust any skimmer as follows.
    I would not restrict the airflow at all, you not creating finer bubbles you are creating less bubbles. Now top end skimmers are rated on how much air they can suck, why would you want to degrade your skimmer. So get as much airflow as possible mixed with as much water as possible from the feed pumps. Open your gate valve as wide as possible. If it still over skims from there raise the skimmer until it stops skimming. Now you can focus on the gate valve to raise the water in the skimmer to where you want it.
    But as i stated above, the skimmate in the skimmer above looks perfect.

13. yusufgamiet

yusufgamiet

looks like only one sump chamber? if so does the evaporation and top up take place in that chamber? guessing it could be your water level then. i always battled against fluctuation causing to skimm too wet

14. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

@leslie hempel, yes I don't think I will go the vodka way yet,. my tank seems perfect, no algae worrying me, so I won't try to fix what's not broke.

To all others, thanks so much for the input, I do have an ATU so the water level stable, also I guess the skimmate looks ok, I just wanted some more coffee in the skimmer cup. As stated before I do very sensitively use the gate valve to adjust my water level, so to get the wet skimmate is easy, I just wanted more thick gunky output.

Thanks again for the comments ...

15. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

LOL, Sammy let that skimmer run for a few weeks without cleaning it, just empty it, and see the gunk that will collect around the rim of the skimmer.

16. leslie hempel

good luck man, PS: if you want coffee go to wimpy :lol:, that is basically raw sewage you pulling out there :)

17. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

LOL, cool, will keep you updated if I manage to turn my skimmer into a coffee making machine !

18. leslie hempel

cool :)

19. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Sammy .... Hey Andre, trust u doing well... 1stly , like they said, those skimmers are dificult, it took me 5 months to get my SUPERBB xp5000int to skim semi-dry . But nice dark smelly skimate.... 1st thing which helped 90% of the way is atu system, once water level was stable it got so much easier . I would adjust a little a day, @ the moment I skim in 1cm in the cup an get good skimmate.... It takes time and patience,u will succeed

20. leslie hempel

this may help to a degree..

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  21. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Month 1 day 1 installation
    [​IMG]

Day 2 - month 4 wet lightbrown skimmate
    [​IMG]

Month 5 - now dark brown gunk