Designing the future

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by RiaanP, 3 Apr 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Almost time to upgrade from my Playstation.
    Only space I have in the house allows a maximum cube of 800x800x600. So after drawing and drawing this is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

I did not do the light unit and top part is not finalized. First I have to get the lights and and types figured out.

Here is a back view
    [​IMG]

Will post individual components later.

Any comments, or suggestions.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Get a bigger house :whistling:

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That looks REALLY AMAZING Riaan! WOW! Man..... BTW: I was meaning to ask you - if you don't mind answering - which part of Pretoria are you from?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

I'm in Pretoria East, Moreleta Park.

yes, bigger house... It is in the market, but current house market is dead.

6. jacquesb

OK - cool! I used to live in Centurion for a year and a bit..... about 4 years ago....

7. RiaanP

Here is the tank only as seen from the back

[​IMG]
    I used Punk / Adriaan / Idol Marine's concept for an overflow. But changed it a bit
    The top part is like Adriaan's overflow. But the bottom part will be the intake to the two closed loop systems. Glass strips with gaps of about 3-4mm. This will ensure enough water flow, without sucking in livestock. But glass strips will be vertical instead of horizontal. Will be easier to clean if needed. But I'm too lazy to redraw it.

Total of 8 return holes, diameter 30mm for returns of the closed loops, 4 per cls.
    4 returns in the back and 4 from the bottom. 2 bottom returns will be in front corners with 45 degree elbows that can be hidden in small piece of LR and 2 returns under LR pile that will form the center of the tank. To prevent sentiment buildup.

Any comments, suggestions or criticisms

8. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

Nice looks good:thumbup:

9. RiaanP

The Stand
    I got 2 designs first out of 25mm square tubing and the other out of 38mm square tubing. Tank will be about 380 Liters, including rocks let say it has to be able to carry 400kg.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Ok on the 25mm (left) I did include the shelf for the closed loop pumps. Still have to add it to the 38mm stand.
    Difference is that the 25mm stand will be about 20.4m steel where the 38mm stand will be 12m And the price difference will be about R2120 for 25mm and R1920 for 38mm (slighty cheaper - whoopie)

Which stand will be better? The 38mm will be less complicated. The 25mm will distibute weight better.

comments please

10. sunburst

sunburst

Wow:) no criticism so far. Looks like a well thought out system. Dimensions are great.

Both stands will do the job, the only advise would be to galvanise. If you go with option 2 then i would run a ring of closed cell foam, around the base. This will keep the metal base out of spilt water, help level any imperfection in the floor and most importantly helps deaden the resonating mmmmmmmmmmmmmm your whole house makes with huge circulating pumps

Have you decided on what closed loop pump to use, and will you be using a current alternating device.

This is going to be a gem for sure:thumbup:

11. RiaanP

Closed loops pumps, undecided. Any suggestions, This is a 380L system, and I will have 2 pumps. Any suggestions please on size and makes.

Looking at using ocean motion OM squirt 4 way. Only one at first but can always add another. Or using SCWD units (If I can get them at all). Looks like 2 SCWD are about half price to one OM4.

I want to insert 4 hugh 35mm nuts to the bottom of the stand, with their bolts acting as adjustable feet. This should keep the bottom of the frame away from spillage.

Did think about the drumming mmmmmmmmmmmm sound. Want to put the pumps on deadening material, but did not think that the sound might actually vibrate of the fittings. Hmmmm...

12. crispin

crispin

both stands look really good, as does the tank. nice planning so far, great to see.

for my money i would go with the 38mm for two reasons. the less complicated design and easier construction for one, but more importantly its a more "öpen" and less cluttered stand giving you some access to the sump. Its always useful, if only to clean out a skimmer cup or replace medium like rowaphos (assuming you are using them)

. I also like the idea of the shelf, and would look at putting a light unit if you are going for a reverse photoperiod refuge? Just an idea

13. crispin

crispin

great advice there. I would look up a company "Sondar" in silverton. gthey have a great variety of closed cell foams, of amazing differences in density. Try google or better go around and see what they have. I would prefer sunbursts idea over four bolt feet due to the weight and pressure each foot would take. You could look at using both ideas though, the feet being useful in ensuring the tank is level.

14. RiaanP

OK, 38mm stand is in,
    will post updated stand later with shelf added.

Yes Crispin, the lights will be in there for the scrubber. This is the basic idea for the outlet pipes.
    [​IMG]
    Two top pipes go to the sump, one directly to skimmer area (top left). The other feed the scrubber directly (top right).
    Scrubber based on my current playstation setup.
    Simple DIY Scrubber - Anything DIY Related
    All pipes will get ball valves. The bottom two pipes feed the closed loop pumps, that will be standing on the shelf.

[​IMG]
    Sump will have a U flow. Skimmer compartment is enough to put future other equiptment in same area. Scrubber will hang at the other side of the tank. With the lightning units also attached to the shelf of the cls pumps. Return chamber just big enough to house 2 return pumps. Area above sand will be the buffer space for main tank when power goes out.

Will keep the closed cell foam in mind, sounds great :). Will also put it under the cls pumps.

15. RiaanP

Sunburst, can I also use the closed cell foam between the tank and stand?

16. sunburst

sunburst

Cannot see why not. If anything resonance would be even less. Price of the rubber foam will no doubt be a lot more than polystyrene.

17. sunburst

sunburst

Should also mention that if you do decide to use the foam on the base then leave a 2cm gap every metre to allow spilt water to escape... for the government to mop up:)

18. RiaanP

I am not happy with my own design.
    Redone the sump design.
    what I had. Water will flow in a U shape. Also bottom/front part of picture, that is where the scrubber will hang, thereby giving some flow from "front" to back. But the DSB part is too small. Well for me, this design DSB footprint will be 750*350mm
    [​IMG]

New design. My front cabinet part is now gone and that extra 200mm will be part of the DSB. This design DSB footprint will be 750*550mm. Water flow from left to front, with a corner to corner "overflow". But it flows out downwards instead of over. 1cm gap at the bottom of the 45 angle glass. With shelf to disperse the flow to the right to prevent sandstorms.
    [​IMG]
    On the right I got a few 5mm slots were water flows through and back to the return pump chamber. Water level can vary from bottom of this outlet section to top, from 30cm deep to 40 cm deep. So I will not be that dependant on a auto topup system, sump can handle 45L evaporation. Also sump can handle another 5cm on the top before the sump can flood another 22.5L.
    The little box in front will be the scrubber overflow chamber, in case it blocks up, the internal overflow will go down a pipe that will end in here. Actually could just as well use a 2L plastic milk bottle planted in the sand with top cut of. Scrubber will hang across the middle above the DSB, from back to front 55cm wide, 50-60cm high, ligths on both sides.
    Any mistakes?
    Come, critisize me, but give the reasons.

19. RiaanP

I made a calculation error. The sump can handle 55L water level change, plus 27L above that for display overflow in case of power outage.
    The aim with this 55L buffer is so that I can do up to a 50L water change without the need to switch anything of. I can remove 50L and the tank and sump will still be 100% in normal use. Then I can add 50L new SW.

20. jacquesb

Awesome Riaan! This looks great so far!

21. Prodigy

Prodigy

Looks very good good luck

Recent Posts