DerekL 90 gallon(340L) canadian 100% Led mixed reef!

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by DerekL, 3 May 2014.

1. DerekL

DerekL

Hello I am Derek I am from Windsor ON Canada. I have 90 gallon or 340 litre mixed reef. Tank is 4 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide and 2 feet deep. It was not drilled and will one day become my sump for a 200+ gallon tank that will come in the next few years. Equipment
    Lighting is Orphek Atlantik
    JNS C0-1 S Cone skimmer
    LifeReef 700 gph external overflow(tank not drilled)
    Mag 12 return pump
    Ecotech Vortec MP40w and MP10w
    BRS dual media reactor rowaphos and gac 24/7
    Aqueon 350 gph pump for dual media reactor
    Philips 13watttht 6500k led for fuge chamber in sump
    300 watt eheim j├Ąger heater
    Tsunami ATO with 4 gallon resivoir
    Filter socks used as well as filter floss in between bubble baffles leadin into return chamber
    Aquasafe aquarium II 7 stage 100gpd RO/DI
    About 150 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of Samoan pink sugar sized sand
    Nitra Guard Bio Cubes for nitrate reduction
    Homemade 2x4 stand with oak skirt stained espresso cherry

I will open a photbucket account so that I can resize and upload pictures taken with my Canon T3i. I will post a couple of pictures I have taken with my iphone so I apologize for these poor pictures I am going to post now

image.jpg

Last edited: 4 May 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Welcome to the forum. This are looking good. Nice intro with all the info. Looking forward to more pics

4. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Full tank shot just now only royal blues on as they are ramping down for the night

image.jpg

5. Breado

Breado

Welcome. Great setup.

6. devesh.r

devesh.r

Welcome and enjoy.

7. makharold

makharold

Nice one

8. Seabass

Seabass

Pic of the sump and overflow please. How long have you run the led on the display tank? And pic of led for fuge and led for the fuge. Do you run the fuge on reverse cycle of the display tank? What flow do you have in the fuge? Oh and welcome to SA.

9. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Hey Seabass. I have had the Orphek Atlanitk running on this tank from day one this was a new build started at the end of last July so it has been 10 months. I was running the led over my sump fuge chamber opposite on a digital timer but I was given a small amount of caularpa macro algae as well which has taken off as well with chaeto they are both just one big ball that I trim back bi weekly. I feed some of the caularpa to my foxface he will come eat it right out of my hand I find this has kept him from tasting coral at least for now. But for the last 3 months the led over the sump runs 24/7. I have been having issues with keeping sps coral lately and I thought it was maybe a water quality issue as my nitrates had gotten up to 12ppm and phosphates to .03ppm. But a fellow reefer sent me a link to read and when I was having great success with sps I had had my LEDs runnin on the coral acclimation program from a couple of months before putting it in increased coral growth. I did have a heater malfunction that raised the temperature over 8 f in an 8 hr period and well after that I ended up loosing almost all my sps. I have tried introducing new frags and putting them on the sandbed to find that there tips would start looking chalking then slow start to bleach out. Well I have had my LEDs in increased coral growth but forgot that any sps I introduced early on was slowly acclimated to the LEDs so I may have been shocking them. So I am going to put the LEDs back into coral acclimation mode the next time I buy an sps frag and see if this changes. As for flow thought my sump I haven't figured that out but my overflow is rated 700 gph and I used 1" flex tube so I have no 90 degree bends anywhere in my plumbing and my return is a mag 12 that has a ball valve but the ball valve is wide open.

image.jpg

10. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Here is another of the overflow

image.jpg

11. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Here is the sump

image.jpg

12. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

My Picasso clown and my misbarred tank raised percula clown loving my tangerine bubble tip anemone.

image.jpg

13. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

Welcome. Nice setup. Hows the jns s cone skimmer working for you?

14. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

@RynoParsons the JNS C01 cone s skimmer has been awesome performance wise. I like to skim on the dryer side and every 3 days I have about 3/4 of my collection cup full of thick black skimmate. I previously ran an ASM G1X and a vertex in180 and the JNS C01 I feel does a better job. Now I have been havin issues when power is cut off that the needle wheel in the Sicce Shark 1.5 pump not always starting up. I emailed JNS and received an reply within an couple hours. I had forgot to tell them where I am from and this I one of the questions I received in the reply from JNS. I will keep posted on the resolution of this matter. I hope the issue is taken care of quickly as these skimmers in my opinion are well worth the money and out perform some of more expensive skimmers. I am comfortably running mine on a 110 total water volume with a med to high bio load

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts