Denitrification experiment

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by jaybeepee, 11 Nov 2010.

1. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Hi All,

I have been curing about 40kgs of LR in 110L buckets at 25degC with a M1500 flow pump (with oxygen) for the past 2 weeks. Last night my ammonia finally tested 0. Nitrites have sky rocketed and there is about 25ppm of nitrates.

I thought I would use this scenario to do an experiment and would like some input:

Hypothesis: LR is capable of converting nitrates to nitrogen at a rate of Xppm/kg

So, what I thought I would do is measure the Nitrates on day 0 (the first day I get a zero reading for nitrites). There prob would have already been a few nitrates converted prior to this day but surely this would be negligable.

Then, I would take a nitrate reading every x days, depending on the difference I can notice in the test kit colour chart (resolution will be an issue here). Ultimately, I would expect the nitrates to drop to zero. I could then work out based on the time it took and the weight of the LR how many nitrates were processed per kilo of LR per T - obv. specfic to my LR (indo).

Anyway, are there any ideas, problems, etc that you can provide insight to.

Cheers
    Jason

Last edited: 11 Nov 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maj

maj

great idea,something great to document for ppl starting up tanks.
    Will amount of water that the LR is in not have any influence?

4. jaybeepee

jaybeepee Thread Starter

yeah! good point! I would imagine this would be the case based on the amount of 'contact' time the water had with the LR. ie. the more water the less the contact time. Still, at least we could have some sort of indication of the speed of this process..........? at the moment tha 110L bucket I have is full of LR so the contact time of the water with the LR is pretty high!

5. maj

maj

yip so that would defnitly count in the favour of the indo rock.
    But still a good guideline,also is this NSW or salt mix?

6. jaybeepee

jaybeepee Thread Starter

Hey Maj,

I used salt mix - Red Sea to be specific

7. jaybeepee

jaybeepee Thread Starter

Come to think of it. It would be cool if someone would do a similar experiment when they started a remote DSB. We could then compare the rate of denitrification of a DSB per kg and LR per kg

8. maj

maj

now just to get someone on board to startup the dsb:whistling:

9. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

The problem i forsee is that different types of LR will yield different results.

You would have to do the same test with each type of LR (kenyan, fiji etc) if you want to get exact info

10. IMarine

IMarine

Hi guys if you use a dsb and its used with pure aragonite and not play sand there will not be any nitrates out of your sand bed but if you use play sand there will always be some nitrates how many i cannot tell,i have used in the past seachem aragonite good but not as good as caribsea.There is a bacteria on the market that i am using called faunamarin and pls mods dont shoot me for saying i am the SA supply of faunamarin,grotech,atb and ati i am not advertising but only trying to help with excellent products at good prices,where faunamarin bacteria goes you could start a system with cured live rock in a few days as i do all the time when time is behind me,so if you start your system off with uncured live rock and you use faunamarin bacteria you should have 0 reading by day 5 or so and the cycle of your system will be over.

11. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Hi

Interesting experiment

My understanding about LR is that its more of an aerobic filter, meaning its more efficient at converting nitrite(NO2) to nitrate(NO3)....thus nitrification
    Thereafter the bacteria located in the core of the LR (anaerobic) will convert nitrate(NO3) to nitrogen gas.
    Its less affective in denitrification.....because the depth to the centre of the LR is not deep enough to make it oxygen deficient.

I would have done the experiment the other way around:
    Hypothesis: LR is capable of converting nitrite to nitrate at a rate of Xppm/kg

I hope im not confusing you....or is my understanding incorrect of the nitrogen cycle.

Ps; just trying to help so get the right results.

12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Surly LR is cappable of both nitrification and denitrification. just its more efficient at one that the other.

why not measure both NO2 -> NO3
    and NO3 -> N2

and one can comepare these rates also

13. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Thats exactly what i said :)
    I support butcherman on testing both relationships

14. Pete

Pete

One More thing I would personaly add to this experimental system is a skimmer just to remove the gunk, as I would think the gunk could maybe give you some false readings or am I just being dom here

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Where were you when I started my tank? Please PM me your details, would like to touch bases with you and ask a few questions.:thumbup:

Recent Posts