Denitrators

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I have been looking at a Aqua Medic Denitrator That some one wants to sell to me..Its quite tall and has all this Bio balls inside...

My question is....What other components, equipment do i need to be able to run this thing...

Thanks
Ridwaan

You will need the controller for it. I think it is the Mv Controller. If you do not have one you can kiss your tank goodbye !
The 'bio balls' are called Deniballs. Northlands pets has one or two running.

I do have a DSB....
WOuld it be wise to run both the denitrator and the DSB?

What does the MV controller do?

From the aquamedic site ...

The mV Controller is designed for monitoring and controlling the redox potential (or ORP - oxidation-reduction potential) in aquaria. The unit has a broad controlling range from -500 to a +500 mV, and a measuring range from -1000 to +1000 mV. It can be used to control the supply of ozone in salt water aquaria and / or for the control of nitrate removal in anaerobic biological filters (Aqua Medic Nitratereductor). The unit is supplied with a BNC connection for an mV probe. The use of an original Aqua Medic plastic shafted electrode is recommended.

i was under the impression that a MV controller is to be used in conjunction with a CArx

Mekaeel a PH controller is used for a CArx, with regards to a nitrate reductor its up to you but it does not do anything more than reduce nitrates in a system by creating an anaerobic area for the denitrifying bacteria. The same is achieved with a DSB but with a DSB you have the advantage of bio diversity and is a totally natural reduction where nothing much can go wrong. With a nitrate reductor i have heard of horror stories where something goes wrong with the controller and the whole system is wiped out.

PH, as the more CO2 added the lower the PH drops.......sorry, dont think i follow here.

Mekaeel, a ph controller controls ph by adding controlled dosses of CO2 to lower and then keep pH at a certain level. This is used in a CArx to keep the Ph low enough to disolve the media in the reactor.

A Nitrate reactor uses a MV controller to keep the redox levels low enough to remove Nitrates. if it goes too low the potential exists for Sulfur dioxide (a poison) being released into the tank.

Unless a very highly fed tank is anticipated, a Nitrate reactor IMO is a rather expensive and unneccesary item.

Back
Top Bottom