Denitrators

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Ridwaan, 18 Jun 2007.

1. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Hi guys...

I have been looking at a Aqua Medic Denitrator That some one wants to sell to me..Its quite tall and has all this Bio balls inside...

My question is....What other components, equipment do i need to be able to run this thing...

Thanks
    Ridwaan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Smithers

Smithers

You will need the controller for it. I think it is the Mv Controller. If you do not have one you can kiss your tank goodbye !
    The 'bio balls' are called Deniballs. Northlands pets has one or two running.

4. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Ridwaan, why not go the DSB route?

5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan Thread Starter

I do have a DSB....
    WOuld it be wise to run both the denitrator and the DSB?

What does the MV controller do?

6. Smithers

Smithers

From the aquamedic site ...

The mV Controller is designed for monitoring and controlling the redox potential (or ORP - oxidation-reduction potential) in aquaria. The unit has a broad controlling range from -500 to a +500 mV, and a measuring range from -1000 to +1000 mV. It can be used to control the supply of ozone in salt water aquaria and / or for the control of nitrate removal in anaerobic biological filters (Aqua Medic Nitratereductor). The unit is supplied with a BNC connection for an mV probe. The use of an original Aqua Medic plastic shafted electrode is recommended.

7. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

I wouldn't be able to say as I am not familiar with this device.

8. Copperband

Copperband

Ridwaan I think its a case of whatever it takes to keep nutrients as low as possible.

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i was under the impression that a MV controller is to be used in conjunction with a CArx

10. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Mekaeel a PH controller is used for a CArx, with regards to a nitrate reductor its up to you but it does not do anything more than reduce nitrates in a system by creating an anaerobic area for the denitrifying bacteria. The same is achieved with a DSB but with a DSB you have the advantage of bio diversity and is a totally natural reduction where nothing much can go wrong. With a nitrate reductor i have heard of horror stories where something goes wrong with the controller and the whole system is wiped out.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

yes alan,a PH controller is used on a CArx,which controller was it to test something to do with the CO2?

12. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

PH, as the more CO2 added the lower the PH drops.......sorry, dont think i follow here.

13. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Mekaeel, a ph controller controls ph by adding controlled dosses of CO2 to lower and then keep pH at a certain level. This is used in a CArx to keep the Ph low enough to disolve the media in the reactor.

A Nitrate reactor uses a MV controller to keep the redox levels low enough to remove Nitrates. if it goes too low the potential exists for Sulfur dioxide (a poison) being released into the tank.

Unless a very highly fed tank is anticipated, a Nitrate reactor IMO is a rather expensive and unneccesary item.

Recent Posts