Denitrator

Reaction score
anyone running a denitrator at the moment, if so describe it and how it is working for you please

best thing ever!! using the AM unit with Mv controller. works like a charm!!!!! best purchase in my life

my benitrator as seen in my nano thread has cycled for a week now, only five to go. before cycled.

and how do you now if you have the correct oxygen content in the chamber the whole time? if it goes to high it will no longer function the way you want it to. i used to use the AM nitrate reducer 400 with out the mv controller/probe and had endless hassless! i now use the AM 1000 with AM Mv controller/probe. is is a sealed container that is filled with bio balls. the probe measures the air content . once the oxygen content reachs -250 on the Mv it turns on a dosing pump and realises water till the oxygen content is at -150. it works flippen well and imho it out does a DSB(but thats just me);) . i would like to also run a dsb to mainly house little critters ect and get the benifit of it removing the left over nitrate my AM didnt get to:lol:

o yes if it reaches -300 to -400, your in shit . disconnected when you get that rotten egg smell.
have you been dosing you denitrater with deminiar(spelling) powder?

Last edited:
Mandarinman, its very difficult using a dentrator unit without a MV controller. More likely to cause a lot of bad than good.

If you don't have one rather not use it.

I believe that the use of one is really unnescessary in a tank with live rock, circulation, and good skimming.

There are aquarists that actually add nitrates as their tanks and inhabitants strip it out too quickly.

clams do benifit from a low level of nitrates, but nothing of the charts.

i think i read in your tank thread that you not using a skimmer or am i wrong?

bob i am running a denitrator as per pics in my nano thread. and gaz oneday when my ship comes in i will buy all the gadgets. i am hoping that the consistency of flowrate will help control th oxygen level. as they say sien is glo maar voel is waarheid, so lets see what happens

One of the pieces of equipment in this hobby that IMO is an absolute waste of money, DSB with a refugium works just as well and also has many advantages and i don't have any of the problems associated with the denitrators.
it would be far more beneficial to the system to take the money spent on a denitrator and spend it on live rock or a better skimmer.

Last edited:
One of the pieces of equipment in this hobby that IMO is an absolute waste of money, DSB with a refugium works just as well and also has many advantages and i don't have any of the problems associated with the denitrators.
it would be far more beneficial to the system to take the money spent on a denitrator and spend it on live rock or a better skimmer.

What is a refugium ?

Alan said it all. Start a dsb, these things look after themselves and works so well. After my dsb kicked in I stopped doing nitrate tests. I just did one to make sure. Reading:0
You have more than enough things that you really need thats worrying you. Dont add artificial worries.

that is not a bad idea at all actually. i have spotted a stunning 50cm cube and then i can use my current tank as a sump

by the way ,denitrators have always intriged me. i used stuff i had so total extra cost only 75 bucks for tubing and end cups

I made my own from commercially bought sulphur and clear PVC.

fireandbrimstone.jpg

It worked extremely well to remove nitrates after it settled in, but I ran it without a controller and ran into trouble when my feeder pump became blocked.

I sort-of recommend them, based on my limited experience. If you can get away with a DSB, that's much better.

Back
Top Bottom