Deltec Skimmer - Is it working?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Michael B, 6 Jun 2011.

1. Michael B

Michael B

Hi Guys,

wonder is can help / explain the following for me?

I have a deltec skimmer AP600, rated for 700l tanks (rated way above my tank litres - 300L tank)

100% of the overflow pass's through the skimmer & yet it hardly skims anything & if it does it is all very light?

The water bubbles are up into the neck as they recommend etc?

It used to skim well & the skimmate was dark - only thing I have changes is started dosing Prodibio?

Is there somthing wrong with the skimmer - do I have enough return flow (1,700lph)?

Any ideas please?

Cheers
    Michael B

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

what are the bubbles in the chamber like? are they thick (milky white) or are they fairly high in the chamber and large?

have you checked that the airline isnt impeded in anyway?

4. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Hi crispin, can blow through the airline without any difficulty. In the chamber, I assume you are refering to the bulk part of the skimmer? They are tiny bubbles filling about two thirds of the chamber only - in the neck they are a little larger? Does that make sense?

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
  5. gaboon

gaboon

Still soak the airline in some vinegar for a while. Have you checked the pump? I'm assuming its the aquabee.

6. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Not sure on name - it is the pump that came with the skimmer (will soak airline & pump this weekend - am desperate as the skimmer has hardly skimmed anything for almost two weeks, that cant be good)

7. gaboon

gaboon

Monitor your nitrates in the meantime. I'm not sure if Prodibio decreases skimmate but I wouldn't think so. Weekend is far away, in the meantime turn the skimmer off, inject RO water into the airline until you think you've replaced all the salt water in the airline with RO and leave it to soak for an hour then turn the skimmer back on. Worth a try.

I did that with mine and it worked.

8. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Thanks gaboon will do that right now & let you know

9. crispin

crispin

most often its the airline (lack of air entering skimmer to be chopped into bubbles) so check that first and its an easy fix.

if not that it could be the dosing of probio (i dont use it so I am not sure) causing a change in the DOC to be skimmed out. It may also cause additional oils and cause the bubbles to pop before reaching skimmer cup and thus not getting skimmed out, although thats doubtful.

you may have an impellor problem (ive just had a snail go skimmer surfing and snap a number of needles on the impellor, seriously reducing the effect of producing fine bubbles and thus I am not skimming well at all). In that case take the pump out and check the impeller carefully. Often a good idea to turn the machine off first :p.

another possibility (all be it unlikley) is a change in water level which you havent noticed, or you might have bumped the OUTFLOW valve on the skimmer allowing more water out and thus less internal pressure inside the skimmer.

just brain-storming possbilities for you to check.

10. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Thanks so much really appreciate it - am desperate & paid a bloody fortune for the skimmer LOL

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
  12. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

If you bought a brand new Deltec, they have replaced the aqua-bee with the DCS model. Saves a lot in terms of wattage. I got more or less the same problem when I bought an APF600 for my friend, but only to find, there was not so much for the skimmer to take out, but now, there is no complain on it!:thumbup:

13. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

[​IMG]

Here's z deltec...:1:

14. Tony

Tony

Prodibio coupled with carbon dosing will increase skimmate. Having said that if your overflow pipes directly into your skimmer you need to turn it off for 8-12 hours after adding prodibio so that it has chance to colonise. If you arent doing this your skimmer is removing most of the bacteria and you're ultimately wasting the product

15. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Thanks a million Keith, great link and am servicing my skimmer tonight (have not done any maintenance & had it 11 months so suspect this is the problem - Exotic is helping me out)

Great to hear & thanks for the feedback

16. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Hi Tony & thanks for that input, think I have been wasting - will fix (again thanks a million)

17. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Michael I will be in Boksburg tomorrow I can pop in and have a look at it if you like

18. TonyDD

TonyDD

Some excellent advice above, in addition.

Products such as some carbons,chemical additives,foods etc can affect the water surface tension. This is usually temporary but if a food for instance is very oily the oils can collect at the water to air interface of each bubble causing the foam to collapse before it can work its way up the neck. This can take several hours to settle as the oils are either broken down or deposited onto the lid of the cup by the constant bubble popping.

Certain chemicals and additives can have a similar effect and can either cause over foaming or premature foam collapse. If the bubbles are forced to pop prematurely due to a change in surface tension its common to observe a fizzing action within the skimmer neck with no foam production at all. This is a tell tail sign that something has messed with surface tension, spawning events can also have the same effect.

With regards to AP600 set up i can offer a few pointers:

1. With the air pump off set the water level within the body so it sits just below the black cup bayonet fitting on the body.This will indicate the skimmer is being fed enough water,if the level is low the foam may not rise to an adequate level within the neck to drop into the cup when the air/needle wheel pump is on.

2.Do not restrict or submerge the outlet of the skimmer. If the outlet pipe is submerged it can cause a slight back pressure on the skimmer body or even start an intermittent siphon that can cause the level in the skimmer to rise and fall.

I like to run the outlet just above the water level and allow the water to break onto a coarse sponge, the sponge also helps weed out any micro bubbles that may find their way to the display.

As mentioned give the pump a good clean as per the cleaning guide link above.

regards and good luck. Tony

Last edited: 7 Jun 2011
  19. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

dude give it a solid cleaning, my XP2000 was not skimming as what i was used to and the bubbles in the body was looking a bit weak, I stripped it and cleaned everything including the skimmer body, I can see a beeeg improvement since then

20. Michael B

Michael B Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the feedback - really appreciate it (will be giving it a good clean)

Thanks for that Mathew - please if you could that would be awesome (will give you a call)

21. crispin

crispin

theres one sollution to your microbubbles from the ts1 you were also asking about.

Recent Posts