Delay-on Timer Advice

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by amalick, 7 Jun 2010.

1. amalick

amalick

I'm looking for some advice from the "sparky's" among us;).

I have this filthy habit of forgetting my main return pumps off after I have fed my fish:nono:, so i'm attempting to modify my DB board so that it will power up my return pump after a defined time interval has passed.

I found this product on e-bay and was wondering if it would work if I wired it in inline of my main return pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICM-Controls-De...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5631642f79

[​IMG]

Then there is this product, but the wiring diagram in the picture is just way to complex for my simple "non-sparky" brain. If one of you out there could guide me through it then I would prefer it since it can handle up to 8amps load.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DELAY-TIMER...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2864b911
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last but not least if any of you know of a local SA equivalent in Cape Town with a similar product that would be great

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. neo

neo

Hi,
    call the cpt branch of ACDC dynamics, +27 21 510 0710, ask for sales, tell them you want a delay-on timer and ask them the product code and description and where you can buy it.
    They have diff versions of these timers that will fit your DB and wiring just like a normal switch, you will then wire a breaker and next the delay-on timer in serie, you toggle the breaker from on to off and back on, this will trigger the delay timer to wait for the period you have set it to, feed your tank and walk away.

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

I got a Electrical timer from builders. It has a function were you set the time period. Once this is done you push a button and the timers turns off for the allocated time period and then turns back on. The timer was R200.

5. keyaam

keyaam

Whats it called? got a pic

6. lIghty

lIghty

Get the DMB51C M24, DMB51C W24 or DAA51C M24 either should work, should be around R300

sorry, from ACDC dynamics

7. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Electromachanica

Electromechanica have several delay-on/off timers that will fit a standard din rail db board. I will pop in there tomorrow and provide feedback. On their online catalogue it varies from R260 to R350

On page 2, 12 and 23 of attached pdf.

They also seem to have many other interesting electrical monitoring "toys" that can even monitor when a pump runs dry for example.

8. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Local is lekker

OK, so I managed to get a delay-on timer from elctromechanica yesterday for R270 (they have many different ones).

Tested it last night and it works like a bomb:). Will fit it properly over the weekend and take pics

I guess I underestimated how advanced we are in SA with electrical components or maybe its just my NOOB sparky skills.

The unit I got has another nice capability in that while it waits for the set time interval to pass to re-energize the relay it can power up another circuit;).

Now I just need to figure out how to "dump" or "Dose" food with some sort of an automatic feeding contraption during this time period using the live line available and even my feeding will be automated via a flick of a switch.:yeahdude:

I see another DIY project in the making :razz:

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Any update and pics yet?

10. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Delay on timer

Sorry - Got so caught up in my new Ozone dilema (covered in another thread).

I fitted the delay timer over the weekend and it works like a bomb. Took all of about 15 mins to get everything sorted and now I have piece of mind when feeding.

Just flick a switch twice, feed and walk away :yeahdude:

Will take a pic and post this evening.

Recent Posts