Deep sand bed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Oberholster, 19 Jan 2013.

1. Oberholster

Oberholster

Hi Guys
    Any suggestions on what sand to use for DSB? Can sand from our local beaches be used but from remote beaches where pollution should be less. I am using beach sand ass a substrate and so far no problems. Only running skimmer and live rock for filtration I want to modify my sump for DSB.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

You can use beach sand from an unpolluted beach, but try to collect at least one meter below the low tide mark.

Alternatively, you could use reggies playsand. Just wash it about 20 times, and then some...

4. Oberholster

Oberholster Thread Starter

If you use reggies play sand do you need to seed the sand with live rock or will the bacteria and stuff come on its own time?

5. Gesiggie

You can put the washed sand in your DSB, and ad 1 or two pieces of live rock on the DSB to promote bacterial growth.

A good idea would also be to seed your new DSB with a cup of sand from another (healthy!) system. But try to take some sand at least 5-10 cm below the surface of the DSB. That way you introduce different bacteria to your system that will promote a variety of bacterial growth.

Edit: Just remember that a DSB does not start working right away... If you take sea sand from the beach, There may be some die-off, and the DSB would thus need to go through a cycling process. Best to do that before connecting it to the system, or system should be void of any LS.

If you connect a DSB from play sand, there will not be a big cycling process, but do a proper water test before connecting it to a running system.

Also: If you wash your sand, it can be done with tap water, but your last rinse should be with RO water

Last edited: 19 Jan 2013
  6. Oberholster

I'm gonna try the beach sand and see where I can get hold of some sand from another aquarium. Only guy I know with reef tank is Suhayl but his got no substrate and no DSB will see when i go to Joburg next weekend to buy more live rock, maybe i can get some matured DSB. Thanks for advice

7. Oberholster

I only use RO. Unfortenatly I bought the tank at LFS with 2 fishies and need to add another 10 kg of live rock so the tank has to go thru another cycle. What do you suggest?

8. Gesiggie

If possible, place your fishies with someone while your tank completes the cycle. That would be safest for them.

If you only add Live rock to an existing system, the cycle might be minimal, if at all noticeable. Then the fish could stay in the system.

I am sure there would be some reefers in Joburg close to the LFS's you plan to visit, that would gladly assist with a cup...

9. Oberholster

I will rather go with different sand then beach sand. Don't want to go thru heavy cycles and spikes in my tank. Especially not with fish in there.

10. Gesiggie

An option I just thought of now (Slow me _ did it on my current tank :blush:)

The sump can be cycled remotely. Just put a heater and skimmer in and let the return outlet pipe go back into the skimmer compartment. Just remember to feed the sump every now and again (I fed a pinch of flake crumbs every day) For the pod, bristle worm and brittle star population

11. Gesiggie

12. Oberholster

Good idea but how am I going to run my display tank while i wait for the sump to complete its cycle

13. Gesiggie

How is it currently running?

14. Gesiggie

If possible, please post a pic or 2 so we can see what your current setup looks like?

15. Oberholster

The sump is currently connected to the system(Display Tank)

16. Oberholster

My plan is to stop the system for an hour put the divider plate in the sump and add the sand then start the system up again.

17. Gesiggie

What is currently in the sump? Only LR?

You might have to wait a little longer for the sand to settle in your sump before you turn the return pump back on. If you switch it on too early, your display may become cloudy as things settle down in the sump.

What fish do you have in your system? For a month-old system, it is rather soon to have any LS:blush:, unless you are dosing something?

18. Oberholster

Only running skimmer in the sump. Fish I have 1 clown and 1 four striped damsel that came with the tank. Lfs said tank has complete its cycle but when I moved the tank and start reading and learning I found out that there a lot to be done to get a decent reef tank running. So I'm doing the best that i can to improve the system and get water parameters 100%. Wanted to give the fish back to LFS but refused to hold the fish there until my tank has complete its cycled. So by making small changes at a time I hope my fishies stay healthy and happy.

19. Gesiggie

Well, if the road starts rocky, it can only get better with time... :) There is definitely merit in steep learning curves

Please post pic of setup, might help to get the creative juices flowing to help you with intended mods whilst limiting stress on LS...

Last edited: 19 Jan 2013
  20. mandarinman

mandarinman

@Gesiggie you are like the female version of riaanp! Riaanp have you had a sexchange?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. Gesiggie

I laughed so lekker , it took me few mins to compose myself again :)

I think I will take it as a compliment ;)

Recent Posts