Deep sand bed bio diversification

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by SchyffS, 11 Aug 2009.

1. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

I would like to obtain the maximum benefits from my deep sand bed(DSB) by tackling issues such as, dsb depth, sand types, feeding, water flow rate over the dsb and most importantly seeding and increasing the bio diversity.
    My current dsb has the following specs:
    1. Sand depth - 170mm
    2. Sand type - seachem aragonite (various grain sizes)
    3. Feeding - none, except from whateva food overflows from the display tank.
    4. Water flow rate - the flow rate over the dsb is isolated from the main flow by means of a t-off from the sump overflow return. Its is estimated to be 1000 L/hour. A slower flow rate over the dsb was adopted to ensure that food settles on the dsb for the critters to feed on.

I am more interested in increasinng the bio diversity, what can be done?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Swap a cup as sand with a fellow reefer in your area.

Put a few hermits (depending on DSB size) on the sand. Or a borrow type of snail like the Babelonian Welk to turn it just a bit. A lot better that you raking or disturbing the DSB.

4. SchyffS

SchyffS Thread Starter Reef Aquarist

5. SchyffS

hi, wont the hermits chow the few worms living in the dsb?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depending on size of your DSB, size of the hermit. Keep an eye on them.
    My DSB is 60 by 30cm. And I vary it between 2 and 6. Depending on the amount of rubish on the sand. The hermits will go for the easy food first. Also got 2 Whelks in there. They work wonders to disrupt the top layer just enough.

7. SchyffS

btw: RiaanP i read through a thread posted by yourself regarding the whelk. I found this article, it categorises the whelk as a predator. It is listed under the title Not Reef Safe, however if its located in the DSB it shouldnt be a problem, i suppose. However if it reproduces then the eggs may find its way back to the display tank....
    Indo Pacific Snails

Are there any reefers willing to swop a cup of dsb sand with me, please PM :wave2:

8. SchyffS

My dsb surface area is 20cm x 30cm, in proportion to my tank(90cm x 50cm x 50cm)
    What would you suggest on the no of crabs and snail?

9. Pugsly

Pugsly

tagging along to hear more regarding critters to add to the DSB - I ham keen to introduce some to mine too

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

20 x 30 cm, bit small. A DSB must have the biggest footprint that you have space for. The bigger area the better. But at 15cm.

Depends on the hermit size. Really cannot say. It really depends on the size of the hermits. Only one big guy or 5-6 really small ones. Just make sure they cannot climb out. (been there done that)

Bristle worms, very nice. Put a small LR that you know there is a worm staying in it on the DSB. Can also suspend it just above as your DSB is small.

Having Cheato above the DSB. Plenty of copepods will make that their home.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi guys - the absolute best ways to get decent diversity in your DSB's - is, as Riaan suggested - getting cups of sand from different reefers' DSB's.
    Another way - is to get as many smaller pieces of live rock (even if you have to trade this with fellow reefers), from different localities (where the rock are sourced from different areas of the world).
    These pieces of live rock does not have to be big at all.....

12. SchyffS

the dsb has been sized accordingly as its the only space available. I will post pics later.
    JaquesB, I will read the articles later, is it possible to get a summary in this thread of all the good information available.

13. SchyffS

okay, to summarise:
    1. add small bits of live rock from various suppliers or reefers
    2. Add hermit crabs
    3. Add whelk snails
    4. Feed the dsb to ensure continual growth of critters
    5. Add cheato for habitat of copepods.

Here is my tank display, FOWLR, running in now 12 months. I will post a pic of the sump i.e dsb later.

[​IMG]

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is a SUPER clean tank for one that is running 12 months?
    Or is this when you set it up?

Can move heater to sump.

And not LR pieces from fellow reefers, but a small cupful of sand you swap with them.

Whelk not a necessity, but very nice to turn it. Hermits, keep an eye on them. Move them back to display tank when sump looks too clean.

15. SchyffS

its superclean cause i relocated the tank to opposite side of room, i had way too much sunlight in the previous area. Thus my tank stopped running for 24 hours in order to swop everything into this one. The previous tank was also exactly the same product. I will post a more recent pic.

Heater - ive got 2 heaters in the sump already, no more space for the 3rd one so located in the overflow chamber. I find that the temperature variance over a 24hour period is very small with all 3 heaters running. BTW, you will see from the sump pics that space is LIMITED. Pics of sump will be posted 2morrow. Pop in and provide your comments. Here is a pic when i just started the system 12 months ago.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts