Deep end!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Eugene P, 22 Dec 2011.

1. Eugene P

Eugene P

Hi there guys,

Just got new 60 liter tank with nothing but air in at the moment but hoping to change that very soon.

Since I'm TOTALLY new to marine aquariums or any aquariums for that matter, i'm in the dark about following right procedures to get started effectivelly.

My aim is a theme based aquarium with 2 clownfish.

If possible, can anyone please profide a link or something to a "marine aquarium for dummies" that is a realiable source of information so I can get started.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hi Eugene,

Welcome to MASA!
    @Tobes and @belindamotion will welcome you soon enough with loads of information.

In the meantime, i could advise you to take some pics of what you have and upload them.
    Thereafter, I can only suggest that you start reading on the forum in the beginners area.

Remember, there is a wealth of information available to you either by reading threads, or asking plenty of Q's.

Happy reefing!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. erratiC

erratiC

The perfect advice, Gesiggie.

Welcome onboard Eugene, you need a lot of patience in this hobby but the rewards in the end are well worth the effort.

Let's get posting some pics so we can advise you on where to start - just remember that at the end of the day MASA is here to keep you interested in the hobby - it's not here to make a quick buck off you like most of the pet shops and will advise you accordingly.

On that note, if you have anything to purchase i suggest you visit the sponsors forum ;)

Last edited: 22 Dec 2011
  5. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi and welcome to MASA.

Tobes is not online at the moment so here is the link taken from his signature. Starting a marine tank

6. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

8. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Getting there

Thanks guys for all the links, gonna start reading right away!

"if only i had the enthusiasm and determination about my TO BE tank, back in school, you'd be calling me DR Eugene PHD extraodinare!" :)

Going to upload my tank as is, right now and will keep you posted on devolopments. Gong to take sum time though cus I just blasted all my cash on buying a boat :(

Cheers

9. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Ain't she a beaut ! ! ! . . .

Just use your imagination to c the potential lurking ! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. As 2time posted, please read the link on starting a marine tank - great info for newbies. Sorry to say this, but your tank looks like a freshwater setup. You won't need the air pump and that filter is maybe only good to use for carbon, purigen or phosphate remover. You will need a protein skimmer or run the tank skimmerless but increase water changes and keep a low bio load. As I said, read the link and take it from there ;)

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

hello and Welcome.

Can be done, but with some effort. You can use the hang on filter, but you need to find a hang on skimmer as well.

And do not use the air pump and airstone. Will just cause a lot of salt spray especially over the lights, eventually shocking you. bzzzz.

And, sorry you CANNOT with this setup house an anemone. Anyway clowns do not need a hosting anemone to be happy. I got a pair in a Nano tank at the moment, with just rock and a 2 mushrooms, few button polyps and 2 pin cushion frags. And they laid eggs...

Your biggest challenge will be, how will you remove the rubbish that collects on the surface? That is why overflows are used, to be able to get the slime floating on the water surface removed.

You have space behind the tank on that same cabinet. I would drill the tank, with overflow going to a smaller spare tank behind this one. Add the heaters and all the other filtration equipment in the spare tank. Just ensure that it is also high enough. And setup in a way that water do not continue to drain to the spare tank when the power goes out. Another advantage is that you will add a few more liters to the system, helping to make it a bit more stable.

Eugene P likes this.
  12. belindamotion

You can have another one behind that one...or even better...

In a nutshell you basically would need another one of those to look like this...
    [​IMG]

BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Then stack them like this...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Dec 2011
    Eugene P likes this.
  13. belindamotion

14. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Brilliant concept!

Adding the extra tank solves a lot of problems for me,

more water, more stability
    provides more space for corals since pumps are not in display tank
    and neatness.

I decided i want my tank bio filtration system to be as natural as possible.
    going seriously to try recreate conditions that is similar to indian ocean where clown fish originates.

I am going to write up a scimatic on how i will proceed with building up my tank.
    That will be on my next post.

Please feel free to comment and give advice on it, theres always room for improvement and 2 heads are better than one!

Thanks,

Cheers

15. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Hi Guys, quick question please

I'm researching lightning and flow pumps to get.

Want to get [FONT=&quot]MH (Metal Halide) lamps

Read section below
    [/FONT]The light "Colour temperature" is also very important. Water "absorbs" the longer wavelength light (the red, orange and yellow colour) at a shallower depth than the shorter wavelength light (green, blue and violet). If one descended from the surface of the ocean, the red light would disappear first, and the last light remaining at depth would be violet.
    Sunlight at the water’s surface has a colour temperature of 6 500K. I don't have exact figures, but I believe that the 10 000K light spectrum approximate a depth of around 10m (33') below the surface, and the "bluer" 20 000K spectrum is equivalent of light at a depth of about 20m (66')
    Because *most* corals live closer to the surface, 10 000K light would actually be more natural for them than 20 000K light. If one were to set up a "deep water" tank, containing species living at greater depth than that of a "normal" shallow reef, one would be better off to use the 20 000K lamps.

Now i want to know what watt lamps i must get since this explanation i quoted really short circuit my brain ! Have a look at my rough display i want to create. You can proberbly see i want to create a cliff face effect.

My tank hight is 36.5 cm so if you can assist me with indication by centimeters from bottom, hight of sandbed, comfortable hight for soft corals, lps and sps within my sloping design.

will 5W per gallon lightning be ok to cater for different levels of coral? my calculation 80watts.

Should this be devided into 40W blue and 40W white?

Sorry bout all the Q's ! I'm following advice from one of your links and they say i must get all the equipment first.

However the link did'nt mention the vast selection of products!

Last Q.
    My water flow, I read getting 2 canester tipe power filter is the way to go? how much letere per hour do you recommend?

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

16. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

With lighting you have a few options

MH are good but expensive and cause a heat problem which will be an issue

T5 if you build a canopy you can try cram a few in there Giesseman are best IMHO

LED very cheap to run can be bit expensive

If your doing a sump then why would you want cannister filters???

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome!

18. belindamotion

I'm not totally sure what the L and W of the Tank is, but I'll say that at a H of only 36.5cm...that's still actual Tank height and not even water height...you might find you'rself in a position where even T5's could generate to much heat...I think you should consider LED lighting....

19. Eugene P

Eugene P Thread Starter

Hi there guys !

Since last time I posted, my neighbour Riderigo intreduced me to this Jerry guy who really helped to get most of the equipment I need at a good price.

[​IMG]

Now I've got a whole 160 Liters to work with! Got a 100L for display tank and my 60L going to be converted into sump. I want to keep my protien skimmer and pump outside sump to maximize my sandbed square.

What is more recommended, normal sea sand from beach or must I buy at petshop?

[​IMG]

My fiance thinks its just rocks, to me diamonds ready to be nurthared into live rock " hopefully " I want to start my tank with them and after a month, get a kilo or two live rock and hopefully they will sead them. Got some " CYCLE reduces fish loss, Rapidly matures new aquariums " to help start bacteria and get the dead rock alive again. I read that it would help.

[​IMG]

My lights in the making! I had to modify my tank cover to fit 3 long T5 30W blue lights in and 1 smaller 18W white T5 at back. Still in construction though.

Together they make 108W, my tank depth is only 40cm and Belindamotion recommended on my prev tank of only 36cm that heat can be a problem so I'm making my tanklid 10cm higher from the tank to help sove the heating problem.

[​IMG]

Got 2 2nd hand 100W heaters I am going to use together, learned from reading the forums that it is better that way. keeping 200W backup just in case, one fails or is not enough to heat water to 26.5 Celcius.

[​IMG]

Also got this 2nd hand BERLIN skimmer from that Jerry guy with pump at great price of only R200! He really went out of his way to assist!
    Skimmer real moody though, overflouds while testing it and only little amount of bubbles, but I know after cleaning it properly it will work just fine.

Slowly but surelly getting there!

Cheers guys.

Recent Posts