Deep cycle battery with 12V pump VS UPS

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend? A deep cycle battery with a 12Volt pump running constantly or a UPS in case of a power outage? I mean a deep cycle batt can be discharged and charged time and time again with no damage to the sells. I spoke to A1 Electronics in Durban and the only UPS they have is 1000Watts for R1150 or something like that. Lights and heaters are not a problem as the temp will drop very slowly, especially in KZN. The only concern is ogygen in the water.
How long will this UPS last on a 35watt circulation pump?

yeah i would just keep the return pumps going. That will keep some flow going in your DSB and will re-oxygenate the water for you. If you get a mucho grandes one then you could be fancy and run your skimmer too, but i think that just your return would be good. You could use the deep cell battery on the UPS. This will help loads and save having to recharge the whole time

What do you guys recommend? A deep cycle battery with a 12Volt pump running constantly or a UPS in case of a power outage? I mean a deep cycle batt can be discharged and charged time and time again with no damage to the sells. I spoke to A1 Electronics in Durban and the only UPS they have is 1000Watts for R1150 or something like that. Lights and heaters are not a problem as the temp will drop very slowly, especially in KZN. The only concern is ogygen in the water.
How long will this UPS last on a 35watt circulation pump?

Tobes, they only sell modified sine wave invertors, unless on our pumps!, you will need a True sine wave invertor, 300w will set you back about R1600.

Deep cycle with a inverter so you can still run all your 230V pumps when the power goes off. Lighty told me at the Third meeting that our normal pumps wont be able to run off the cheap(R400)inverters.Has anyone tried it?

Sorry Tobes but can I just add to this thread.

What do you think will be a better investment.I have a great quality charger and deep cycle battery so must I rather just buy a bilge pump and run that with the other return pump or just buy a inverter and only run the one return pump.I can also run additional pumps inside the display off the inverter.:)

Thanks for the input guys. OK, lets do it like this:

I want a system that will run my return pump (35W; 220V ; ) for the 2-4 HRS of power outages and must come on by itself if the power trips. What do you guys recommend and what will the $$$ damage be?

Tobes, weather you use a inverter + battery or a UPS, if its a 220v pump you wanna run, it will have to be Pure sine. A UPS is a inverter with a built-in battery, and to buy a Pure sine UPS, you would be better off just to buy a Pure sine inverter and seperate batteries, this way if you need longer running time all you have to do is buy more batteries. there was a company that I was able to get a 300w pure sine for about R700, but that was before the rand lost to the $.

Tobes I went down this road and then ended up getting a gennie, now my 2 tanks run 100% with no power and I can run other things as well.

What I'm worrying about is what if no one is at home when the power goes?

Tobes I went down this road and then ended up getting a gennie, now my 2 tanks run 100% with no power and I can run other things as well.

I agree, If there is no reason why you can't get a gennie, rather get one, all you have to worry about it the fuel..... so much easier!

That is y I made my 1 auto start. You need one with a key start and then it is simple.

If I decide to go this route, will you help me with this mod?
Or else just get a deep cycle and a 12V pump without all different kinds of waves :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom