Decsions Decsions - New Jag XF

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by amalick, 18 Nov 2009.

1. amalick

amalick

Hi Guys, at the risk of pissing of the BMW, Merc and Audi clan im looking for an opinion. I am fortunate enough to have a choice between 2 luxury sedans the Lexus IS250 SE 2.5 V6 and the Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 premium. I have never really followed the "sheep" and bought one of the titanic 3 Germans stuff (I have my reasons), but the motor plan on my Lexus IS250 SE has run out after 3 years of a beautiful driving relationship. Long story short I now need to choose between just buying another one or making a shift to JAG

Anyone out there got any experience with this vehicle or an opinion. I'm truly stuck and googled reviews but they are all biased. Anyone got one

The Jag
    [​IMG]

The Lexus
    [​IMG]

I promise I'm not boasting - remember I said I'm fortunate enough to have the choice but its going to break the bank so I need to be carefull.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

4. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I've seen the video. A british car reviewed by british people, so no guessing what the review was like hey ?

IMHO - Its a masterpeice, but what have SA owners experienced ?

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i would just get it for that interior :p

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

I dont know about the video but from my Point of view:

Lexus - this car is around the same size and in the same category as a 3 series/ C class

XF - This car is around the 5 series/ E class size and category

If i had the bucks the XF as it just looks Cool and Its not as common on the roads as the lexus

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Its now owned by TATA so does that not make it Indian:razz:

8. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Ya Ya - Its kinda ironic that the indians are sticking it to the brits hey ?. Corporate or boardroom ownership just doesnt define a cars citizenship anymore. For all we know jag could be sold to the Americans next now that would be a disaster. All the americans can do is make cars that go in a straight line and filled with plastic parts.

One could also argue that Lexus is a Toyota or Audi is a VW and so on

Anyone got one of these Jags?

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Or that Ferrari is Fiat and Lamborghini is Audi LOL.

Anyways would like to hear if there are any other XF drivers on here.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Ashraf - I drove a Lexus IS200 (previously - as a company car in when we lived in the UK) - I test drove 5 cars in the class. And absolutely NOTHING came close to the Lexus.

I would rather suggest that you personally go and test-drive both the cars yourself..... BEFORE you decide.

My personal choice would be the Lexus. But, that is me.

11. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i saw a sa review on the jag 2 weeks ago.........im not a big jag fan....but after seeing the review i would definatly consider one:yeahdude:

12. jacquesb

Hi guys - who have ever before driven a Lexus before?

13. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i have......awesome!.....but nothing beats a C63 AMG,,,,busy saving for a second hand C55 AMG........anyone find one pm me!!!

sorry for hi-jacking the thread:)

14. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

No No - I currently own the Lexus, and have loved it for 3 years, but I have to change to the same car again or something similar. I test drove the Jag and it was great as well but you can never really make a decision on a test drive. My question is around someone who has perhaps had the Jag a little while already ?

What where the "kinks" they experienced. You see with the new cars in this segment the driving experince is pretty similar in general if you ignore the americans for a moment. Its the "Toys" or "Gadgets" that tend to make the difference

15. jacquesb

Well - one thing that DEFINITELY goes for the Lexus, Ashraf - is that it basically already comes with ALL the options you would ever need. If you had to add these "options" to the other luxury cars - what do their total costs come to?

Look - I don't have anything against the Jaguar. It's just that I am a HUGE Lexus fan.

16. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

I agree but R800k is way out of my price bracket. Lexus have an equavlint its called the IS-F and willl land in SA in January. Its a monster 5L V8 and will cost +/- R770k.
    [​IMG]

The Jag version is called XF-R another super charged V8 but that sells for R1m.
    [​IMG]

Lets stick to the league of us ordinary folk if you don't mind. LOL

17. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Me too - Thats why i'm struggling. The Jag has everything that the Lexus has as standard and I mean everything. Bluetooth, Navigation, DVD in motion, satalitte TV, Memory Seats, Reverse camera and park sensors all over the place, 14.1 420w premium surround souns system, electric everything including the steering, heated and cooled seats and the list goes on..

In fact thats my problem with the germans : the optional extras, even something like a cigarette lighter for peets sake:p

18. jacquesb

LOL Ashraf - then I can surely understand your dilemma mate......

19. crispin

crispin

what a horrid choice to have to make. skip them both and get a tank.....kidding i like the jag more but i have no reason to make the distinction. best of luck with the choosing though

20. noproblem

noproblem

Dude, I'm a Pom but I would buy a Lexus, at least they can service them here. If they break, which is almost never. I own a big volvo estate at the moment but they can't fix them when they break...... Jaguar in SA, rather donate the cash that you will lose in the resale and buy a Toyota. Same with Volvo. I'm a fan of both but we are in the wrong country at the wrong time......

21. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I had the pleasure of sitting in the new Jag, and damn, I was impressed! My brother in law has a Lexus IS 250 which I drove. My choice over the two in terms of look and power will be the Jag Ashraf.

Recent Posts