Decapsulating of brine shrimp eggs

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by LuckyFish, 15 Jan 2010.

1. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Decapsulating of brine shrimp eggs is easy to write, but difficult to do. I try to make it as easy to understand as possible. Feel free to ask, if something is not clear enough to understand.
    Why decapsulating eggs?

Many people say, the fry will eat egg shells or unhatched eggs and they can´t digest the hard shells and eggs. That is actually right, but in my experience, fry only eat the shells or eggs by mistake. So if you feed newly hatched brines, which includes also a few shells and eggs, you might loose a few. I really fed on purpose newly hatched brines with plenty of eggs and shells, to see what will happen. The only problem I had was, the mess on the water surface and at the bottom of the tank. Syphoning the raising tank is a daily needed maintenance. Better twice a day.

The big benefit for decapsulating the eggs is, the eggs gets desinfected and the eggs are hatching much quicker. Usually, depending on the water temperature, brine shrimp eggs hatching within 24 to 36 hours. Decapsuled eggs hatch between 10 and 24 hours, depending on the water temperature. So if you run out of brines, the fastest way to get new brines, is to decapsule the eggs. The majority of the larvae will survive without food for 12 to 24 hours.
    I really can´t say, like others do, decapsuled eggs got a better hatch rate.

To decapsule eggs, we use unflavoured bleach.
    [​IMG]

The eggs have to be hydrated in sea water (from your DT) for one to two hours.
    [​IMG]

Strain the eggs. To make a strainer, I use a 1kg margarine pot, cut a hole in the bottom and glue a 100 micron mesh in it. I use a second pot, where I put the strainer in.
    [​IMG]

Make sure after you put the strainer into the other pot, the eggs will be submerged.
    [​IMG]

Now add 60 ml or more bleach and shake it gently. The more bleach, the faster the decapsulating process. I recommend, for the first time use 60 ml to see, how the eggs are changing the colour. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes to decapsule them.
    You will find records on the internet, the eggs have to be bright orange. I can´t second that at all. I did it many times now and I rather have a few thin egg shells, instead of a very poor hatch rate, because the majority of the eggs were destroyed from the bleach. I assume, it has to do with the different thickness of the eggs shells.
    The eggs vary in size and the naupli vary in size, too. I had many naupli, they went through a 200 micron strainer. So it also depends, where the eggs are coming from.
    As I mentioned before, shake gently above the sink.
    [​IMG]
    Now watch the eggs. They change colour to light grey. Be careful, if you don´t shake slightly, the top will stay grey, but the eggs underneath will be destroyed.
    [​IMG]

After grey, the orange will be more and more visible. You have to look between the grey. Don´t expect everything will be orange. If it is, it is to late. Eggs tend to get stuck along the edge in the hatching bottle, but if they were to long in bleach, almost all of them get stuck along the edge and the hatch rate is very low. They stick together like glue. The eggs should have still their thin membrane around it after decapsulating them. Just like the thin membrane in the chicken eggs.
    This picture is a close up. Take note of the orange eggs in between the grey. You will get a feeling how to it, after you did it a few times. Nobody can tell you exactly how to do it, to get the perfect result. You have to try it.
    [​IMG]

Now you have to rinse very well, until no bleach smell is noticed.
    [​IMG]

Put the decapsulated eggs with a bit of water into a jar and keep it in the fridge.
    Use only what you need for the day and let them hatch.
    Or...
    That´s what I do, use the amount of eggs you need to feed for 3 or 4 days.
    Put them in a bottle under strong aeration and check if the majority hatched after 15 hours. If not, give it another 2 hours and check again.
    After the majority is hatched, strain them, put them into new sea water from your DT and feed the amount you need.
    The rest, fill into a glass jar and put the newly hatched brines in the fridge. Their metabolism will slow down and they won´t grow. I think, they loose around 5 percent nutrition value per day, while kept in the fridge.
    Everytime you open the fridge for :peroni:, shake the jar to get some oxygen back into the water. Once or twice a day, open the jar to get some fresh air in. I kept them for a week in the fridge, without any aeration, just to see, how long they will survive.

Brine shrimp naupli has to go through 15 molts. These larvae stages are called INSTAR. Instar 1 is the first after hatch. Very rich in protein and very small. Things change within 6 hours after hatch. They reach instar 2, loose a lot of energy, grow a lot and the body is getting harder. But on the other hand, only from instar 2 onwards, the naupli is able to eat. So enriching the brine shrimp works only from instar 2. At the latest, 10 days after the fry hatched, the fry has to get enriched naupli instar 2 as food. Otherwise, the lack in fatty acids, vitamins, etc. will cause deformities (stubby fish), misbarring and they can die very quick of SFS.
    SFS is the sudden fright syndrome. If the larvaes food is lacking in fatty acids, they will die as soon as the get a fright. That means, adding food, syphoning the tank, changing water, etc. will kill them.

SFS is very popular for young banggai cardinals!

If I forgot something, I will add it later or ask me.

Alan likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Nice post, very useful info !

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Very interesting :thumbup:

5. Anemone

Anemone

Excellent information to have here! I take it one step further and use a dechlorinator after a really good rinse.

6. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Sodiumthiosulphate, I know. I do the same. Want to explain this later, otherwise to much information in one go can confuse the reader.;)

7. crispin

crispin

very intresting read :) and good photos showing what you do, thanks very much

8. colbar

colbar

Gee Marcel thank you soooooo much for all the info and the pics.
    You really are doing a great job!!! Thanks

9. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

where did you get the 100 micron mesh?

10. LuckyFish

I got 80, 100 and 200 micron mesh, but the problem is, you have to take one square metre of each.

If anybody needs mesh, let me know the mesh size and the size you need.
    I will send it via post.

11. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Hi Marcel
    Rogan and I have noticed that you can keep decapsulated eggs in the fridge for about a week without losing out on the hatch rate, after that the hatch rate goes down.
    We occasionally rehydrate over night in the fridge and longer if we forget or something comes up.
    We dilute the bleach with water to ensure the decapsulating does not occur to aggressively, it still takes up to 15 minutes.
    Other advice is not to decapsulate too many at a time as this can lead to difficulties in dechlorinating the decapsulated cysts through the strainer. We don't bother with Sodium Biosulphate and just flush carefully with running water from a tap.
    I think the best hatch time we have had is about 8 hours.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2010
  12. LuckyFish

Hi Steve, nice to have you here as well.
    I always keep my decapsuled eggs submerged in the fridge for around a week. Then I have to decapsule the next lot. So what you are saying, I can second that.
    I am going to open up a new thread about banggai breeding.
    Please be so kind and post your experiences about banggais as well.

Thanks

13. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Will do, though your experience and success is far more than Rogan and I.:)
    When Rogan has finished his exams I would love to try the peppermints again, he got so far with the larvae it was disappointing to lose them after so long when they seemed to be at the settling out stage.

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

you can also use a coffee filter for this.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

can use vinegar for this.

ps if you use a litre of salt water to hydrate eggs (dessert spoon of) for an hour then add a cup of bleach, and you aerate to circulate eggs in solution, the first layer of shell to grey happens and then as eggs turn orange you run under ro water till most of bleach smell is gone pour vinegar over and rinse again. then put in high salt solution to dehydrate eggs again and refrigerate. you can use at your leisure
    pss the use of diluted bleach allows you the time to watch turn orange and rinse before eaten aggressively by bleach

Last edited: 10 Feb 2010
  16. LuckyFish

17. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Cool, i would like some of each, what do u need from me
    10cm x 10xm of each

18. Dolphin

Dolphin

very nice thread!

I imported a box of Decap Brine Shrimp Eggs in December for my Apistos and Bettas...

19. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

Nice post. Thanks.

Recent Posts