Death in the family

Reaction score
During today, powercuts, my backup power system didn't kick in and my Powder-Blue died.:(

I can only think it was due to lack of oxygen. My question is Bigger fish, bigger oxygen consumption or is this very species specific ?

All the other livestock survived but quite distressed.

Reaction score
Rip, Pb

Sorr Warr!

Acanthurus leucosternon's Energetic, surge zone requirements
are FAR from satisfied NORMALLY
with it's
~Higher Metabolic Rate
~Higher Biological Oxygen Demand
~Higher Ectoparasite susceptibility
~Predisposition to stress-induced reactions

...let alone during Rolling Blackout, or OTHER power-outs/ downtimes.

The flipside, is CO2 buildup, even if enough O2 present..IT is the Respiration rate limiter more often than not.

Fish get narcotized,blood pH, biochemistry changes cause slow down...and ALL the above BOOBYTRAPS are sprung.

BTW it's group specific.
AND
Don't ignore heavier, thick-set fish, faster swimmers, ailing, skinny, diseased, recently additions or EVEN FISH UNDER chemotherapy(Copper, etc) are at higher risk too.

Reaction score
Sorr Warr!

Acanthurus leucosternon's Energetic, surge zone requirements
are FAR from satisfied NORMALLY
with it's
~Higher Metabolic Rate
~Higher Biological Oxygen Demand
~Higher Ectoparasite susceptibility
~Predisposition to stress-induced reactions

...let alone during Rolling Blackout, or OTHER power-outs/ downtimes.

The flipside, is CO2 buildup, even if enough O2 present..IT is the Respiration rate limiter more often than not.

Fish get narcotized,blood pH, biochemistry changes cause slow down...and ALL the above BOOBYTRAPS are sprung.

BTW it's group specific.
AND
Don't ignore heavier, thick-set fish, faster swimmers, ailing, skinny, diseased, recently additions or EVEN FISH UNDER chemotherapy(Copper, etc) are at higher risk too.
Thanks again Master. You really know your shit. Makes sense, He/She was really enjoying the bigger tank, loads of swimming area.

RIP

I will miss you

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Still killing things I see Warren :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

My Powder Blue jumped out of the tank a couple of weeks ago, found him lying dead on the floor, really not nice losing such an awesome fish.

Any idea how long your power was out for?

Reaction score
i am really sorry warren - i lost a fire gobie and felt like shit - can only imagine what you feel like loosing a big beauti like that

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
/sorry to hear about your loss Warren! Not nice at all. Sorry man. My boxing shrimp died yesterday, due to the power-cut here. I do have things running on battery power- but probably NOT enough... I dunno... AND it is current EXTREMELY hot here in CPT. (You should know). So - heat = less oxygen in tank... AND the water evaporation rate is MUCH higher than what it was last week. So my RO topup could not keep up.... = SG much higher than normal.... damn...

Reaction score
shit my blue-green chromis jumped out of the tank as well Monday night.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
ouch dude sorry to hear my wife was devatsated when we lost oursdue to the temp rising in summer in our new flat thats simular to a microwave.

Reaction score
Still killing things I see Warren :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

My Powder Blue jumped out of the tank a couple of weeks ago, found him lying dead on the floor, really not nice losing such an awesome fish.

Any idea how long your power was out for?
4 and half hours

Reaction score
sorry dude i feel your pain

My fish where almost cooked yesterday, tank was @ 31deg. when i got home.....

Reaction score
Sheesh, sorry Warr. Always tough when that happens.
Gali, you know what is tougher, is explaining to my little daughter, why, what, where etc.

When your kids give the fish names, they become a little attached.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Gali, you know what is tougher, is explaining to my little daughter, why, what, where etc.

I know exactly what you mean. My son got very attached to a huge pleco named Herman.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score

If your kiddie is little enough then tell her that you took the fish to the doctor because he was sick, then go out and buy another one quickly. Don't laugh, I've done something very similar. :p

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If your kiddie is little enough then tell her that you took the fish to the doctor because he was sick, then go out and buy another one quickly. Don't laugh, I've done something very similar. :p
Sorry to hear Warr

ANGRY's sister tells her little one that the Goldfish has swam to the sea and he needs to be fetched. She then goes to the LFS explaining to him that she needs a goldfish because the lat one died AGAIN:whistling:

Poor guys thinks that goldfish had a few lives

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Warr

ANGRY's sister tells her little one that the Goldfish has swam to the sea and he needs to be fetched. She then goes to the LFS explaining to him that she needs a goldfish because the lat one died AGAIN:whistling:

Poor guys thinks that goldfish had a few lives
Nice one guys :lol::lol::lol: