Dead mandarin goby

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Reefs-R-Us, 14 Jan 2011.

1. Reefs-R-Us

Reefs-R-Us

I have recently had a outbreak of ich on two of my clown fish. The only other things in the tank are a Mandarin goby and a rainsford goby. I moved all live rock and corals and invertebrates out into a different tank. I was treating them with Rid Ich with uses malachite green and Formaldehyde to cure it. about three days after adding it the two gobies were dead on the bottom and the two clown fish are breathing heavily and hiding under a rock. the only other thing running besides the lights is a uv sterilizer . any clue what killed them? they had no signs of ich. i did notice the head of the rainsford looks like the color was scratched off.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Did you get an ammonia spike?

4. Anemone

Anemone

Hey! Wisconsin? We're neighbors! :lol: Welcome to MASA!

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

I know people are different but usually the sick fish are moved and treated in a seperate tank ... reason being you will eventually get the meds soaking into the silicone and then leaching back int the main tank later on .... BTW Welcome to MASA ....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: 15 Jan 2011
  6. Tony

Tony

What doses were you using of each product?

Were you using the three products simultaneously?

7. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Remeber formaldehyde is extremely toxic if the dosage is slightly to high. did you follow the instructions to the T?

8. Reefs-R-Us

Reefs-R-Us Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome! and it is only one products, those were just the two chemicals it it contains. I know some products can soak into the silicon and stuff that why i didn't treat them with a copper based product because that stays forever. The chemicals wear off every 24 hours thats why you have to treat it every day. i was afraid of over doses so i have been treating the 40 gallon as a 30 every 24 hours instead

9. Jinx

Jinx

If my fish gets sick with white spot...I just leave everyting as it is.The more you move them around the more they will stress.I also have a good U.V light on my system.
    Just let it be,and it will go away most of the time if the fish are not stressed.

10. Reefs-R-Us

ya i didn't move them at all. im treating them in the dt. i have a U.V running but Im just wondering why the two gobies died. If it was an ammonia spike wouldn't the two clowns have died too?

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

not necessarily. Some fish are hardier than others and can tolerate higher levels of ammonia/nitrites/etc.

did you mean you swithced off all circulation and filtration as well.?

12. Reefs-R-Us

well the uv kinda circulates it and i have a powerhead to oxygenate the water. could Halimeda die from a spike?

13. 459b

have you tested your parameters?

14. Reefs-R-Us

i ran out of test strips but i took some water in for testing and they said every thing is fine. nitrate was little high so water change was recommended within a few days. nothing urgent so i change water when i got home

15. Reefs-R-Us

another clown fish has just died. The only fish left doesn't look to healthy. it is swimming around with its forehead on the surface. i also notice a bunch of lime green worms crawling around at the bottom of the tank, could it be a parasite?

16. 459b

Can you post a pic of the worms?

17. mandarinman

mandarinman

candosing certain chemicals in tank can kill off bacteria and cause ammonia spike?

18. Anemone

Anemone

I'm more concerned that he dosed with a sand bed, killing any critters that were living in it. Possibly where the worms are coming from.

19. Reefs-R-Us

i had a friend come over with some test kits and alot more knowledge then me to trouble shoot whats going on. It turns out that the worms are normally white and turned greenish blue because of the ich medicine i was using. With some tests we realized the ammonia wasn't the problem. When i took all the live rock out to put in my 10 gallon the 40 gal had nothing to finish the cycle. There was a high level of Nitrate, i was told there shouldn't be any nitrate if the tank is established. So my guess is that it was almost established and i took all the bacteria out and added a toxic chemical and killed off remaining bacteria resulting in a jump in nitrate which slowly killed off the fish. Does any of that sound like it could be correct?

20. Anemone

Anemone

Hmmm, meds can affect beneficial bacteria. What were your Nitrates and Nitrites numbers? How long has this tank been up and running? What did you and your friend do to correct the problem?

21. Reefs-R-Us

i dont remember what the numbers were. well i just moved the last clown fish to my ten gallon with all the invertebrates and moved some bigger pieces of live rock to the 40 gal. my plan is to drain all the water clean everything and re silicon it because its an old tank and it wouldnt hurt. Then buying a finer grained sand to put over the crushed coral for a DSB and adding fresh brand new water and just letting that recycle and after a month or two start adding stuff but keep 10 gal as it is now just in case. the 10 gal has been up since October and the 40 at the end of november

Recent Posts