"Dead" live rock

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by danimal, 9 Oct 2009.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

A buddy of mine who has left the hobby but still has all his equipment has offered to give me some of his old live rock which has been sitting in a box since he moved. I currently only have about 16kgs in my tank, have been waiting for finances etc to catch up before adding to my collection.

Obviously all life on this old rock is long since gone, so what should I do to it before adding it to my tank? Would I need to let it cycle for a while by itself or simply wash it in some NSW or RO water to get rid of dust/goggas? Or is it better to simply buy live rock proper? He has quite a bit of it, and it seems a waste to buy 20 or 30 kgs at around R100/kg if I don't have to...:whistling:

Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. xtreme

xtreme

Hi danimal

Well, R100 / KG is expensive for dead rock. Tell him he must pay you to remove it lol, I will not pay that, maybe offer him per piece to use as base rock.

New to this, so still doesn't know anything

4. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

...it's not Your buddy as U said...friends are not taking money from each other...not this kind of money for dead rock...invest rather in LR,even if will be less it's allways better than putting in a tank something U dont know...greatings...Raphael...

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

sorry my post is misleading - my buddy is giving me the rock for free, what I meant was I is it better to get dead rock for free and let it seed over time or should I buy live rock? ! :)

6. jean19

jean19

you can use those rocks after a good washing , and if there is a lot cycle them , outside your tank . for a few you can put them directly that's whats i did in my first tank .

7. Tony

Tony

I'm with Jean on this one

8. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

cool thanks guys :)

9. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

a little misunderstand,sorry to be not nice to Your buddy Danimal...Im still for LR,on other forum we are just busy talking about the problem dead rock and ceramic rock can bring to a tank...but on other side there are some positives...U will not have aiptasia for example...greatings...

10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

can you give me a link to this thread? want to see what the probs are

11. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

Danimal,i could give the link,but it's in Polish...i got feeling will be useless for U...U know some people puted a ceramic rock in thay tanks and many of the aquariums colepted after a few months...someone had also problem with dead rock from a shop and some crep was falling from them forever...My first tank was also on dead rock and after all ive decided to get real LR...

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

I'm with jean to...But you can buy or if you got live rock, to seed the dead rock...

13. davidfr7

davidfr7

It can take up to +-6 months to seed the dead rock. So I would use it but you gone have to get life rock. Someone once said LR is the lungs of your tank. the more you get the better

14. jean19

jean19

he's got allready 16 kg of LR in is tank , it'll take time but it will work ,
    wash them in some salted water from your tank (when you do water changing) it'll be better than freshwater.

15. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

I am wanting to use the new dead rock to build up my aquascaping structures - it will take some time to seed but that's what this hobby's all about! :)

thanks guys, just wanted to check that it is possible to do this. awesome!

Recent Posts