Dead Goby somewhere...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pXius, 23 Oct 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

Got a 6 spot goby on Saturday, did a 2 hour drip. temp and salinity was a match and added to my DT.

I could see the guy was stressed out and not happy about all the transport, considering its a new shipment that came in on Friday.

Anyway, he didn't make it :( :( :( but before I could get the body one of my cleaner shrimp ran off with it behind the rock work.

Now, to get to him will be hard, I'll need to remove ALLOT of rock and corals to get to the body, stressing all the fish in the process.

My system is 600L and I skim wet. Can I get away with a few water changes or will I be rescaping my tank tonight?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:(:(:(

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

sorry to hear about your loss...I wouldnt worry about removing the body it will get cleaned up by the relevent parties in the tank...no skimming wet or water changes necessary. I have never removed a dead fish from my tank...the little critters have to eat too you know. ;)

For future reference 2 hour acclimatisation is major overkill and probably did more harm than good...30-45 minutes is ample time to acclimatise a fish.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  5. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thanks!

I normally don't drip that long but the LFS had a way lower salinity than mine. Didn't want to raise it to fast. Guess My crabs are about to have a field day. :whistling:

6. rakabos

rakabos

Sorry to hear, but dont stress, cleaner shrimps are called cleaner shrimps for various reasons as you have found out ;)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes they did, and your system is big enough to handle the extra load.

Did you test the salinity of the water the fish was in before you started the acclimatization? I bought a lawnmower blennies and the water was 1.016. Took my time to drip him, about 4 hours. And he made it where the previous one was dead the next day.

8. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Hey guys and thanks!

Got up for a sip of water around 2am and like many reefers I'm sure peered into the tank and saw half the body in the front corner so took it out. The rest was served as "Catch of the day" to the crabs.

@RiaanP
    Yes I did do a salinity test, was around 1.020 and I raised it to 1.025 over 2 hours. But even on introduction I could see this guy wasn't just shy but having a hard time. But it was my own stupidity taking a fish the day after they came in from a shipment. Too much stress IMO.

I might go have a look and see if the LFS has any left and reserve one to pick up the coming weekend.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts