dead coral

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
I was given a few big pieces of dead coral. Was taken out of the persons tank yesterday....can I put it into my tank? Will it come to life again? Or shud I just clean it and make it ornaments?

Clean it and make it ornaments. They look lekker.

lol.

Will it affect my water parameters?

Do you have pictures for us?

Didnt think of that...will take today

lol.

Will it affect my water parameters?
Coral is made up from calcium. So the only thing it could possibly affect would be your tanks ph. I doubt that you will have any problems though. You might have to wash it every once in a while. Guaranteed that algae will pop up on it in some form. But I'm no expert, just a thought.

Coral is made up from calcium. So the only thing it could possibly affect would be your tanks ph. I doubt that you will have any problems though. You might have to wash it every once in a while. Guaranteed that algae will pop up on it in some form. But I'm no expert, just a thought.

Was more worried about the dead livemass changing my ammonia and associated levels.

Wetty it will do your system more good then bad, as stated its made out of calcium. With time it will slowly start to disintegrate into the water and be consumed by your other corals. This is why I chose my substrate as fine crushed sea shells for the same effect.

Wetty - as MadReefer states - IF the corals are COMPLETELY dead, detritus will most likely start settling on the coral skeleton, which in turn will be a perfect "bed" for algae spores to start settling, and growing, in. So - yes, algae would most likely start growing on it.

BUT - look at the thread Warr posted in, about his bubble coral that "came back to life" - it is not IMPOSSIBLE that the coral could still make a return.

Place the coral in your tank's sump - and monitor it... if, after 2 or 3 weeks you still don't see any coral life - leave the skeleton in your tank's sump. If you do see coral life coming back, place the coral in your display tank.

Ill do that. Hopefully sumthing good will come of this

What's that orange looking thing in the first 2 pics of your last post? Looks like a sponge?

Must be light reflecting or sumthing. As u can see theres tons of algae growing on the glass.

No, in the second pic you can clearly see the holes in what looks like "barrels" and it's a light orange colour. Not a sponge?
Otherwise my eyes are misleading me and I need a drink :whistling:

No, in the second pic you can clearly see the holes in what looks like "barrels" and it's a light orange colour. Not a sponge?
Otherwise my eyes are misleading me and I need a drink :whistling:

No. Iv got a red sponge on the other side of the tank. And its in none of the pics.

Back
Top Bottom