Urgent help needed De- Worming a Y-Tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by jacoc, 11 Mar 2012.

1. jacoc

jacoc

If I suspect a (Y-Tang) has worms..:eek: how do you de-worm it in the tank ( full reef )as catching it is a no-no?..it eats normal and behave normal. Just very-very skinny and not picking up weight...I been feeding norry twice a day and Formula 1 /2 pallets twice a day for 2 weeks now and no change. No garlic advice please as it is not working..

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mytank

mytank

Treating it in the tank is a "no no". The treatments that work will kill invertebrates and corals.

If you plan on saving the Tang, saving your reef and invertebrates I would strongly suggest you catch the Tang, QT him with Gyro Marine do a Bing search for it and you will find it.

I bought mine @wild on pets, @Nemos Janitor suggested it to me.

I know there is a method of feeding them some antibiotics but anything that is feeding means:

1. The might not get the right dosage
    2. It will take longer due to point 1
    3. Other fish that DO NOT need the treatment might ingest the treatment
    4. Just get wasted into the water treatment

From what I read he isn't eating already so Gryo Marine will be your best bet....

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  4. mytank

mytank

Correction it is eating normal. I would still go with the QT if you want a good survival rate....

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  5. Tony

Tony

You can soak pellet food only as it absorbs medicine in a medicine better than flake food which falls apart in a medicine called flagyl or metronidazole. Crush a quarter of the tablet and dissolve it in salt water. SOak the food in the salt water then drain it. You can feed the fish this way and do it for a few days. You can ask your vet for a single tablet or two which they will sell to you if they know what it's for. The medication along with praziquantel are used to deworm dogs. It is also used in humans to treat toothache where bacteria are involved or after a tooth extraction. I used to use this method to deworm my discus many years ago

What do the faeces of the YT look like

magman likes this.
  6. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

@ Tony thanks I have read about this somewhere on the net a while ago as well, can’t find it now... I will get some and let the pallets soaked it up and then dry before I feed it...the other fish will also get some but it shouldn’t do anything to them...I hope.. I also read any deworming meds for cats and dogs can work is that correct? There is liquid and powder deworming meds as well.

7. magman

magman

I agree with Tony, go the seachem metrodiozinole, just maybe get the fish used to eating a bit of garlic in the food, as garlic is good to hide the taste of the metro,

8. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

I do soaked pallets in a garlic and omega oil mix every now and again.. the fish loves it..I soaked the pallets and let it dry then the oils don’t escape in to the water the fish eats it before it has time to hit the bottom. Will do the same with de worming powder or oil..I will go see if I can get the oil / liquid form deworming today.

9. jacoc

jacoc Thread Starter

Hi @Tony..Will any de wormer work...I have this Bob Martin 3 in 1 dewormer powder...it contains “Pyrantel Pamoate and Niclosamide” ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Tony

Tony

Jaco, I personally wouldnt chance it. Rather go and ask your vet for two tabs which will cost about 40 bucks or your pharmacist if you really know him well. At least its been tried and proven. Alternatively there is the Seachem metronidazole

Recent Posts