De-nitrification coil

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Paul B, 13 Dec 2014.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I built this coil a few years ago and it worked well. A de-nitrification coil is a simple device that reduces nitrates to zero for no money and it is a simple design costing maybe $25.00 to build. Hurricane Sandy put an end to the thing as it needs constant water flow and a few days without water flow will make the thing as helpful as some of our rock singers. I have posted the construction before but I will do it again in my book that is not out yet. Basically it is a long tube where anerobic bacteria grow on a diet of nitrates and Vodka. The Vodka keeps them smashed so they don't realize they are working for free. The thing also needs 3 weeks to a month to start working but now it reduces nitrates from 40 (which my reef is) to zero. It is still cycling in my workshop and I will again install it on my tank as soon as I get some time.
    The device is just the blue tube, the rest of the stuff is just my normal workshop stuff.
    [​IMG]
    The tube on the right is tank water and the tube on the left is water that leaves the coil.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reaper

Reaper

So how did you build it, and how do you run it in if it's not connected to your system?

4. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

It is connected to my system. I will post it after I perfect it and it will be in my book

tobiejvr likes this.
  5. Reefhead

Reefhead

I used to run something similar.
    I took a black box, bought a whole roll of airline tubing, put it in the box.
    One end connected to a pump in the tank and the other end slowly dripping back into the tank.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the concept is a very old idea. Take a long piece of tubing and run the water through that. Let the bacteria living on the tubing walls do the conversion from oxygen rich water to anaerobic.

Then the water enters the next phase, which can be even more tubing, or it just exits the reactor at the bottom. But then the rest of the reactor is filled with bio-balls, plastic pot scourers, Seachem matrix, or even live rock rubble. Whatever you want, but the anaerobic bacteria should have plenty of real estate available.

flow rte is very slow, measured in drops per minute.

But these got the same downsides to it than NP pellet reactors.

• It takes time to start up, 6 to 8 weeks.
    • Flow rate must just be right. Not too fast.
    • Can NEVER be switched off.
    so with Eskom doing their bit to screw up this country economy and our tanks, you must ensure that this reactor and your NP-pellet reactor runs from a UPS.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For Paul, Eskom, (or Eiskom, Eksdom or whatever we call them otherwise) is our country electrical supplier, running all the power plants and national grid. Giving the directors extremely big company bonuses while they cannot maintain power supply and we, the consumer, are faced with blackouts.

tobiejvr, NJH and Ridwaan like this.
  8. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

We here in New York are subjected to hurricanes and terror attacks that affect our grid. I put in a generator for such times because instead of complaining when I have a problem, I do something about it. My power has gone out probably a dozen times since my tank has been set up some blackouts lasted five days. I realize not all people can do this, but here it is easy and costs about as much as a few corals

Recent Posts