DC vs AC vs External Pumps

Reaction score
What is the benefit in using a DC pump over a AC pump or external pump? More specific in terms of electrical safety and stray voltage.

grab each end of a car battery, you'll live, and smile whilst you're holding the terminals.

However stick your fingers in a 220v household plug and you're bound to have a bigger smile with a magic hairstyle and serious pain thereafter.

On some pumps, the wires harden. And then they crack open at the point where the wire enter the pump body. Fine crack that will eventually trip the power at 3 in the morning. This normally happens after you did some tank maintenance and moved the pumps and the wires bend and moved.

Also heaters got a nasty tendency to work for years, then one night also at 3 in the morning to leak in water. Especially if the top of the heater is also under water.

On the pumps, if 24V, it will not kill you or wake you up properly when you dreamy eye feed the fish in the morning. You will feel it. 240V pumps, you will jump.

Best option is to have the tank earthed. Does not matter if 24V or 240V.

So in terms of your question, it does not really matter.

DC pumps do give you a controller and you can slow down the flow. DC tends also to be better when it comes to consuming power.

I use the feed mode on my DC return pump every time. That for me was the selling point to replace the Water Blaster with a DC.

Any current in water from external?
and here, not from wires deteriorating.

But if the impeller magnet eats away into the pump housing, then it can leak power into the system.

DC units you don't need a earth probe, External units often have the cable inside them anyways so it can potentially hurt you. DC Current only flows a single direction and is often limited to 3A depending on the item at hand. Unlike household 220v that is limited to 20a on a circuit breaker/earth leakage.

Earth probes are advisable however, reason being is something as simple as a piece of live rock breaking a heater can kill you.

Back
Top Bottom