DBN rock pools

Discussion in 'Reef Hunters' started by brendanpre, 27 Jun 2010.

1. brendanpre

brendanpre

Hi, I was poking around in the pools yesterday and I saw a white fan worm about 10cm across the head. It was under a deep ledge and just the head and tip of the tube was sticking out, but it got me thinking. Can you collect these, if you can get to them and how? Also how do you collect zoas off the rocks? I saw some insane lumo green ones! A bit off topic here, but could you keep those tiny baby crabs that you sometimes see on the rocks? Would they do any harm in your tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

10cm ... wow thats big .... for a fan worm ... I think the biggest I saw around Durbz was about 5 cms and some of them double-headed .... Just that under a ledge how you going to remove it without damaging it?.... Zoa's are usually best removed with an old phone card .... Also remember to use gloves ... some have nasty toxins ... palyzoa's I think they called .... give you a wierd rash if not worse! .. mmm Crabs? .. Are you talking about hermits? The ones with shells as houses ... they are very cool clean-up crew

4. brendanpre

brendanpre Thread Starter

It was huge :y13:!!! The biggest one I've ever seen and pure white, it was awesome. That one you definately can't remove (probably why it got so big), but if you could find another one that is more accessible, how do you remove them safely? I was talking about the normal crabs that scurry around on the rocks, not hermits.

Do you just try and scrape the zoas off with the card? Doesn't it damage them?

5. PeterL

PeterL

Or you could lug up the 50ton rock up the beach with a few mates at hand if you wanted to, but just for a few Zoe's - it just doesn't seem worth it :lol: It would be best to try with a small segment of them opposed to bushwacking the whole place apart. If you get underneith them properly to dislodge them, they should be just fine.

6. brendanpre

Weeeeeellllllllll, I could use a bit more live rock in my tank.......:p Thanks, I was just a bit worried, those guys are stuck down hard!

7. PeterL

PeterL

Ja, about the extra LR, why not just get some glass (maybe a few km wide by 100m tall) and put it in the ocean, then your scaping is done for you, all the water changes you could ever want, self feeding, auto-stocking...what more could you ask for...

8. brendanpre

Awesome idea! Then I would have enough space for some real cool fish, like some whale sharks!

9. PeterL

PeterL

Well ja, then the worlds largest aquariums can let those others go and just be whale sharks...When yours have had enough of being inside your tank, you can just change up for something else cool, like a blue whale or what ever else takes your fancy...No licence needed because nothing is ACTUALLY leaving the ocean. All the lighting requirements are met, not worries about dosing, cleaning skimmer or none of that

10. brendanpre

You forgot to mention that it has a in-tank dsb, does't need heaters, chillers, powerheads, RO top up...........

11. PeterL

PeterL

Ja, that must be the bomb...or, what you can do, is just get a pair of goggles, snorkel and some decent flippers and you can go global with your reef, and it will change no matter where you look. No matter what you do, you will always be looking at your reef ssytem through a piece of glass

Recent Posts