Davids tank update

459b

Reaction score
As Admin requested, its time for a tank update....just wish the update was under better circumstances.

7814d1c72dfb6f4d.jpg

I have been away in Segefiled for the past week and got a call from the hose sitter late yesterday informing me that the fish are dead. I cut my much needed holiday short and rushed back to cape twon today to find a little more than just dead fish. The details of what actually happened are scetchy, but all i know is that the power went off. No idea when , but it definitely did not go off yesterday afternoon as she had claimed. No point in blaming anyone, pointing finger etc, whats done is done. The tank in the pic is my main tank, my other bank of frag tanks survived a little better, with a few zoas and a hand full of rics surviving.
Amongst the saddest losses include my prized fish (some of which ive had since i first started marines) and nine (yes 9) BTA's.
Nothing can prepare one for the sight and smell of a tank crash.

i think the power went out a few days ago. Cloudiness is casued by all the rotting stuff floating around. I had ALOT of coral in there, so im actually surprised its not murkier.
What makes it worse is that i bought a new light unit just before i left!!!

Sorry man, that sucks. Hope you not planning on packing it all in.

How often was the house sitter supposed to come over?

Sorry for the loss. I know the feeling all to well as this happened to me a year ago. My tank was just a little worse. It was totally black and not just murky. Mold started to grow on top of the water even.

I just hope that other reefers that see this will not underestimate the necessity of a battery backup solution. All of us are put off by the extreme costs of a decent backup solution but for instance in this case the solution would have paid for itself.

sorry to hear bud!
when u get back up and running, will organise some frags to restock

Sorry man, that sucks. Hope you not planning on packing it all in.

How often was the house sitter supposed to come over?

the thought has crossed my mind. I have alot going on right now and i dont kow when/if ill be able to get the tank up and running.

House sitter lives across the road and apparently came in every day.

Were those propergated BTAs?

eight of them were, the ninth ddint get a chance to be propogated.

when u get back up and running, will organise some frags to restock

Thanks for the offer!!

Damn David,that is the saddest crappiest thing ever!
That RIC collection was awesome,hope they survived!

how long were you away from your house?
The entire house have no power?

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Dont suppose anyone knows how to get the dead fish smell out of the house???

That RIC collection was awesome,hope they survived!

how long were you away from your house?
The entire house have no power?

I lost all my yumas (think ther wer about 50 of them). Alot of the floridas are hanging in there, but i did loose a rather alrge number of them.

I have been gone for five days. I have no idea what went out cause she has given me conflicting stories.

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Dont suppose anyone knows how to get the dead fish smell out of the house???

Good ventilation. Make some filter coffee.

Probably need to first make sure no smell coming from tank. Water change / carbon.

vinegar in a bowl with bi-carb

Will have to try all smell eradicating suggestions. The stench is unbelievable.

While unpacking all the liverock, i came across some very nice pieces that, for some unknown reason, i hid in the back. Odd how this morning i about to throw everything away...now im already planning my new scape :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom