Dastaco controller for carx

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
anyone here ordered one of these in? it seems the bomb for easy calibration of a carx.

just dial in the desired alk level and the rest is automated.

keep to see at what price tag they'd come in at.

The DaStaCo reactor is a state of the art fully automated Calcium and Alkalinity Reactor for SPS dominant reef aquariums where a consistent, heavy and reliable supply of minerals are needed. Once operational, all that is required to deliver more or less alkalinity is the simple turn of one dial on the controller. The calcium reactor computer automatically does the rest of the work. No fiddling with bubble counts or flow rates. The DaSTaCo Reactor price here comes complete with everything but media and a co2 tank. Included are peristaltic pump (2 on the larger units), Co2 Regulator and all the little working parts. The peristaltic pump supplies the tank water to the reactor and is much more reliable and precise than a standard impeller pump. We also include an AC/DC converter at no additional charge. How it works- While typical calcium reactors dissolve aragonite media at a ph around 6.7, the DaStaCo media dissolves Triton tested extremely pure calcium carbonate at a ph around 6.0. At this ph, co2 is saturated in the water column within the reactor. By utilizing a very reliable float switch to control the flow of co2 into the reactor based on this saturation point, the water within the reactor can always stay at this 6.0 rate. If more alkalinity is needed from the reactor, simply turn the Alk/Ca dial up a notch and more water will be exchanged between the display and reactor. Since the ph is kept constant within the unit via the float switch, there are no other variables to tinker with. With traditional reactors there is a bubble counter, co2 flow knob, ph probe, and reactor water flow to adjust. The design of the DaStaCo removes 3 of the four variables making the unit much more reliable. Since this unit will perfectly handle the calcium and alkalinity needs of your reef tank, you will still need to add other major and minor ions. A few noteworthy points that separate this design from the competition. The computer allows the reactor to automatically vent built up gasses several times a day. Since other gases build up within any reactor design, it is important to purge them so the unit can continue to deliver consistent minerals to the tank. This unit does it for you keeping the gasses in the reactor mostly Co2. The unit has many built in audible alarms that notify the user of any errors in performance. It is recommended to do ICP tests (Triton) every month or two to dial in the other ions needed by your aquarium. Elements such as Mg, K, I, B, S, get used up quickly by growing corals and do need to be replaced. This is the reactor of choice of so many awesome European (and now American) reef tanks. David Saxby, Mike Paletta and Sanjay Yoshi all run DaStaCo calcium reactors for their extreme reliability. We employ an ExtremA 14 on our 5000 gal reef system at Unique and absolutely love it. For smaller tanks without heavy mineral demands consider the Triton Core 7 Elements. They contain a balanced mix of all major and minor ions.

images (16).jpg

Last edited:
I run one, the A1 model...good kit..pricey but for me worth it.
When i'm away the missus is doing the alk testing & if there is alk drift happening it's pretty girl safe to turn a knob up or down a whisker.
Only thing i don't like about it is even with the 2nd chamber its effluent is a PH of 6.1 & i've added a mountain of gear combatting that dragging the tank ph down. The PH is fixed NOTHING can be changed to adjust it.
Had it online 1 year & its only given a problem once & that was the peri pump tube needed swapping out.
Pulled mine out of the Netherlands - https://www.seaflowerstore.com/dastaco-xtrema-a1-800l-compleet/ you can take 200 off that price,theres EU sales tax that comes off. Looks like they have gone up from when i brought, i would have thought with the Pac Sun carx coming out it might have dropped some but no.
Shipping was 90

Last edited:
Les i did see you asking about just the controller by itself - you can buy separately
https://www.sewatec.de/calciumreactors/ams-dastaco/dastaco-integra-controller.html

I recall seeing someone on ultimate planning to try use the controller on a normal carx, don't know whether they were successful or not.
BUT - It has alarms & turns the solenoid off if it senses a problem so i really don't think using just the controller would be so simple.

Here's what it will turn the solenoid & or doser off for

36504060194_9c8b451294_z.jpg

36504061864_a1ecc98a20_z.jpg

36504062294_f440699af4_z.jpg

With all that complication in there you'd think it would be a nightmare shutting down all the time but it doesn't.
I once had an issues where after venting it would signal off 1 alarm sometimes & that problem was gotten rid of by just opening the co2 fine adjustment valve a little and that was the end of that problem.
Once setup good it seems to just purr along.

Sorry Les was looking for something else & only just seen this now
No nothing new my end, only trouble i've had recent is running Reborn in it & that seems like its even softer than ARM & i've had the co2 float jam up a couple of times with grit going across to the float chamber - rinse & away again, it's only ever done that with the Reborn.

There is noises they are bringing out a alk controller maybe toward end this year to bolt to it so that might be interesting - i'd really like to flatten out my daily swings some if i could - min 0.6dkh daily

45670852542_cfcfe8feb7_c.jpg

Lights on carx doesn't keep up....light off it catches up again

Nothing too official yet but you can see the extra alk port in the bottom here
43904126280_16e7242683_z.jpg

alk tester unit

44807734045_d0d50926ed_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom