Darrencon's Organic Tank

Reaction score
Hi AllI have been asked to give more details about my organic tank, so here goes...

I upgraded my tank on the 26th May 07 (from a 80L that was running for 6 months)
I went from 85L to 200L and I did not wait for a cycle to complete as the organic treatment makes the water safe immediatly. Fish went in within about 2 hours with NO losses.

3 ft tank about 40kg live rock
No Sump
No skimmer

Lighting:2 24watt t5's (one white and on blue)

Filtration:For mechanical filtration I use the built in container thing in the hood (dont know what else to call it). I have a powerhead that pumps tank water into it. Inside I have filter wool and a bag of tropic marin elimi phos and also sometimes I run activated carbon.

I have 2 seio's for circulation, one 620 and one 820

For other filtration I use organic products by a local company called organic aqua. There are 3 products:
Bbac (looks like moist weed)
health treatment (liquid)
general treatment (granuals)

Maintanance:

I only do about a 20% water change every 5-6 weeks.
Clean the glass twice a week.
Change filter wool every +- 10 days.
Add General treatment every 7 days.
Add health treatment after new livestock is added or after a water change
Top up with RO for evapouration.

Current Livestock:
2 False pecular clowns
1 Anemone (clowns are hosting in it)
1 yellow tang
1 Jananese tang
1 Baby regal tang
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Fireshrimp
4 chromis
1 carpenters wrasse
1 frogspawn
1 pincusion
1 moorish Idol...:blushing:
lots of mushrooms
couple of zoo's
1 other coral I cant remenber the name of..:whistling:
1 sea urchin

All is running well.

Here is a pic from 8 Jan. I will take more recent ones as the tank has changed quite a bit over the last 7 weeks ***pic updated see page 2***

DSCF0827.jpg

Last edited:
can u post a pic of the organic stuff. i think its the same one that i used to use.
tank looks healthy.
is the morish idol eating?

What exactly do you mean by organic tank?, is the 3ft tank a refuge of sump?, do you have any DSB?

can u post a pic of the organic stuff. i think its the same one that i used to use.
tank looks healthy.
is the morish idol eating?

Go to www.organicaqua.co.za for product pics

Moorish idol is eating like a pig... it has just recovered on its own from white spot. No intervention from me. I am lucky.

It was an impulse buy (pressure from the wife). Should not have bought it... they belong in the sea...

What exactly do you mean by organic tank?, is the 3ft tank a refuge of sump?, do you have any DSB?

ok to be clear....

No sump
No DSB
No refugium
No skimmer

An organic tank is a tank that uses natural products to keep it healthy...

ok to be clear....

No sump
No DSB
No refugium
No skimmer

An organic tank is a tank that uses natural products to keep it healthy...

Sorry (I say this in advance), are you saying a DSB, Refugium or sump are non organic. How more natural can a tank be if it has them, yes using chemicals is non organic.

Sounds very very interesting!

Do you do any tests? I'm especially interested to know if you have nitrate issues.

Darren, as a personal favour to me, could you pretty please use the MASA image host with the new pics you are going to upload. I can't view photobucket pics as my work blocks it.

Can't wait!

Sorry (I say this in advance), are you saying a DSB, Refugium or sump are non organic. How more natural can a tank be if it has them, yes using chemicals is non organic.

No I am not saying that. I am just saying that I am not using any of them.

The organic aqua I am using does not contain chemicals.... it is all natural.

That is a fairly heaby stocking for a 3ft. Do you have any algae growth?

That is a fairly heaby stocking for a 3ft. Do you have any algae growth?

No algae problems...just a bit on the glass every few days.

I did have a battle with hair algae about 3 months ago. It was weird as it just grew on one rock... so I removed the rock and it solved the problem.

No algae problems...just a bit on the glass every few days.

I did have a battle with hair algae about 3 months ago. It was weird as it just grew on one rock... so I removed the rock and it solved the problem.

Mmmm... sounds like some phosphate might have been adsorbed by the rock.

Just another comment...

This is the way I do my tank and its not perfect but it works great for me.... :thumbup: for all the newbies, please still research and then make up your own mind.. ;)

Hi Darren - most likely the same issue I had with my live rock - the actual live rock contained too much detritus on the INSIDE. And this was most likely fueling the algae growth. Like fertiliser....

Hi Darren - most likely the same issue I had with my live rock - the actual live rock contained too much detritus on the INSIDE. And this was most likely fueling the algae growth. Like fertiliser....

Jacques I know you have had this algae problem a while now, but are you sure it's the LR. And if it's the LR don't you have creatures that would love this.

My problem is a don't have enough detritus that I have to target feed my seastar.

Just a question :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom