Dardanus Megistos Warning.

RiaanP

Reaction score
This is one hermit not to buy. They do come is at times and are available, especially Kenyan shipments. But do not buy them unless you got a dedicated place for them.

Here is mine, still a baby
attachment.php

A very nice pic posted by Schaun88
Dardanus megistos - Marine Aquariums South Africa
attachment.php

Here is an example of what they can grow up to
nwhi-crab.jpg

Holy crap, that is huge. Mine is about 7cm wide already. And the strength of him is just out of this world, he can turn rocks 4 - 5 times his size.

Riaan, have you got space for him? He cleans my substrate by turning it quite often. Do they post a problem for fish or corals?

Do they post a problem for fish or corals?
eventually yes.

You need to keep it well fed so they will leave other things alone. But that is in itself a problem, because then they grow.

And the other issue is that they only know if they can fit into another shell, once they killed and removed whatever is (was) in the other shell. So it is better to have enough big shells laying around. But that again also promotes its growth rate. So it is a catch 22 position.

And yes, they are strong, without turning green.

That was one my first additions when I started out in marines he grew fast ,killed fish after lights out and even eating away at live rock well that what it look like cool crab but will never get one again.

Thanks for the warning RiaanP. I need to have a look at my tank now because I think I might have one.

check how much he grown over 4 months!!!

That is a Jeager heater in the background

Back
Top Bottom