Dane's low-tech nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Dane, 6 Apr 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey all,

So, been saying I'll post pics for ages... Here you go.

Standard 70L tank - 4ml sides and 6ml base. I don't run a skimmer or a sump, but do a 25L water change every week. The internal powerhead currently has charcoal and filter floss - which I change every few days. Will add some more flow and remove filter media soon... Tank is settled nicely, I don't really have cyano problems and crustose corraline has started growing really nicely (that large white rock in the middle was put in about an hour before these pics) I seeded the tank with live sand and one chunk of live rock (which also has a gazillion aptasia on it! grrrr), and there are a lot of false scroll coral skeletons, which I like - because they provide excellent surface/area to volume and are a refuge for pods etc. WILL definitely remove the calurpa - and burn it!! Will eventually add a fuge next to the tank with cheato in it and a extra light. Some of the zoas look fantastic under actinic, but my camera can't handle the correction.

The three little xenias started out about 3 months ago as a fingernail sized frag, and have recently got a few more zoas (sorry some are closed, just did water change before the pics). Also still need to get in a good CUC - just have two cushion stars at present.

Current tank list
    3 x baby false occel.
    2 x cushion stars
    Pulsing Xenia
    5 x zoas spp

Lighting
    2x 15watt 6400k CFL
    1x Actinic Hagen "marine-glo"

So, pretty basic setup and I'm trying to keep it that way :p

Thanks for your time/comments

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse my rather... "rustic" attachment methods :p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey tank is looking great:thumbup:! Why is there a brown pot holder in the tank:whistling:... If I can be so bold on the scaping,have you tried braking up the centre rock and making to seperate islands. Left one beïng the small one and right the larger one. Make two towers as the base of each island and connect the two with a rock bridge... Just a thaught if it's ok with you.

4. xtreme

xtreme

Hi Dane, how long is the tank running now?:p

5. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

looking good dude

6. toppdogg

toppdogg

Hey dude looking good
    what are the dimentions of the tank ? if you dont mind

7. FransSny

FransSny

Hi dane, looks cool (low tech or not ) here's my opinion / s

Scaping is every ones own opinion / like / dislike do what tickles your fancy. Just leave enough swimming space, flow etc. I would however have to say that it seems like you have a lot of locally collected rock. Except that it is illigal :)P ) it wont do much for assisting with your filtration because of its density.

I understand the flowerpot, but why not try and make a cave / hide from the coral skeletons you have ? Pratley Putty = easy peasy.

If budget allows see if you can change the CFL's

8. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the comments! :)

@Annoying - Your comments on aquascaping are actually spot on with what i'm going for! Except I'm aiming for a peninsula-style with a large island on the left and a smaller connected island on the right - so yes you most certainly be so bold - its exactly what i have in mind! ;-) I still want to get a lot more good quality rock before I really start my scaping. Need high quality porous rock because I have no other filtration. Pot is for the clownfish until i have a nicer coral for them to host (getting a frogspawn soon).

@xtreme - 2-3 months total contents lifespan. Only about 3 weeks in the new 70L. Bits and pieces added at different stages so a bit tricky to put a date on it.

@toppdog - approx 62x32x32, sorry exact measurements not at hand!

@frans - the lighting is one the most expensive things, at 24 a cfl i have a hard time paying for a T8 globe that costs r99 for 15watt of similar kelvin light output?? Will probably upgrade to 3xcfl and 2x actinic if needed? Cave is definitely on the cards when I have some more rock in there. Oh, and the false scroll corals "rocks" are from a few years trips up the coast collecting washed up dead corals - the crustose etc seeded whilst in my tank. Just the one piece of LR that I bought. The large centre rock wil be base rock in the future - need much more porous rock in the long run

thanks so much for the compliments and comments! :)
    D

9. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Dane that tank is looking cool dude.:thumbup:

10. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

thanks much 2time :)

11. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

@ frans - if you're referring to the large white calcareous rock in the middle, got that from a friend at the aquarium, from a collecting trip with permits. So covered there! hehehe. ;-) but definitely need to get some more high quality, porous rock.

12. Qaiser

Qaiser

13. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

hahaha, thanks much Qaiser!

As requested!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really really really stoked with the frogspawn. I was quite anxious as to how it would do under my lighting so been keeping a tight eye on it, but it opened almost immediately and has been looking very happy. Its just under midway in my tank, but that means only about 20cm from the lights ;-) Thanks a mil to keeyam for such an awesome frag! Pleasure doing business ;-) It looks incredible under actinics... Changed my light cycle so that I just have actinics for the last hour now!

anyone selling bright green hammer coral frags? hehehe
    D

14. mnd123

mnd123

Dane, clowns will not necesarily host in the frogspawn. My clowns had a frog, a torch and a hammer for over a year before only one of them decided on the torch.

Dont worry if they dont, clowns dont NEED something to host in

15. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks mnd,

I'm actually not all that keen on them hosting the frogspawn anymore! Don't want them to damage the polyps. Read quite a few postings of people having this problem. The frogspawn is still far to young to take the harassment methinks...

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

wow it looks cool hey :)

17. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Your system is looking great...

18. seank

seank

This is going to be one mean tank once all is grown out. Wicked:thumbup:

19. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

Dane that is a very nice tank (any tank without algea is good tank:thumbup:), I had a candy cane coral in my first tank and even though it only had a 11watt light with no reflector it grew and that was because i fed it weekly, this coral will need additional food. Good luck!

20. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys! :) Was away in the karoo doing restoration ecology, working like a dog! It's really great to get back and see this feedback! :)

Added some more rocks that keeyam gave me, now there's an upright column on the right, less caulerpa and the frogspawn is in the centre, and a bit higher up. Pics to follow later :)

21. Dasher

Dasher

Very nice tank Dane.

Recent Posts