damn +@!/! noisy return or skimmer pumps!???

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by mandarinman, 3 May 2010.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

my skimmer pump was making a racket and i couldnt figure it out! it was quiet when i saw it running before i bought it!
    i decided to put one nylon 5mm washer under impeller on the ceramic axle and two on the top between the impeller blade and little rubber guide in front of pump. well well i stumbled onto theee noise cure and this thing is skimming like it has hoof and mouth (ts3 with otp 3000 with pin wheel) to the point where it squeezed skimmate bubbles up through the holes in top cover and it looked like a green capuchino! hope idea helps others with noise problems on pumps!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Great. That sorts out the impeller noise from skimmers, now go and figure out how to get rid of a humming pump noise.:p Sponge does not work, already tried that.

4. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

is it submersed? if so only two places impeller or air intake imo?

5. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey Mandarinman...where would I be able to get those washers?

6. mandarinman

Hardware store.

7. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hey @mandarinman ,

My TS2 is also making a hell of a racket...starts by humming and then sounds like a little tracktor...tried adding one washer(about 2mm thick) at the back of the impellor but still not getting it right...

Would you be able to post some pics to see exactly where to add the washer/s? Its still brand new so I really dont want to stuff it up...:blush: lol

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey B00tcamp

Just check if you get the pump exchanged - check with Jan when exactly the purchase happened 0 maybe you qualify for a warranty claim.

@ Mandarinman

I have tried the washers - 2 thin homemade washers as I coudnt find them anywhere, believe it or not...

The noise did stop for around 20 min and I was smiling - but then it started...seems a little quieter but not something you want to hear all the time.

I had a look at the ceramic shaft - seemed clean and straight. I did clean up around the rubber grommet at the one end.

Any additional advice will be appreciated...

9. Wes

Wes

Try throttling the air-tube just pinch it, play with the amount of air going into the venturi.

10. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey Wes - thx for the reply.

I do throttle it down, but the skimmer becomes less effective - it takes ages to push skimmate out and it runs more wet + the skimmer runs with the water level very high and sits in the skimmate cup neck. With the airtube just connected to the silencer, the skimmer is a beast with only bubbles going up the cone and neck of the collection cup...

11. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hey Wes,

Tried pinching the air-hose, only goes quiet when its completely closed...the moment I open it even slitghly the noise comes back :(

Will have a go at it again this evening...hopefully I can get it sorted over the weekend...lol

12. Wes

Wes

So it doesn't seem to be the pump, sounds like just the noise of the air bubbles being hammered by the needle/pin wheel... I had a smilar problem with my TS2 just throttled the air intake to venturi with one of those adjustable air tube magafties and she's quite quiet.:thumbup:

13. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Thanks Wes,

Will play with it some more over the weekend...was thinking of sanding down the washers I got to be able to fit two...before when I tried adding two the pump didnt turn...will also get one of those magafties and test that out too :1:

14. mandarinman

Gotta work with a process of elimination. but i do recommend finding a good set of plastic washers to prevent impeller bouncing around when the air is being mixed.

15. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

i used the plastic packaging - stiff clear plastic, drilled holes and cut them out...

maybe make a washer out of a coke bottle!!!

16. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hey all;)

So, at the end of the day adding the washer and pinching the air-hose allmost completely shut got the skimmer running nice and soft...only hassle now is that I am battling to keep the water level in the skimmer constant...seems to go up and down during the day...have not had much if any skimmate over the weekend...is this normal?

BTW...hope you all had an awsome weekend! :1:

17. Wes

Wes

I've got mine set to where the water level in the skimmer is just below the bleed nipple, so pull the outlet pipe/mechanism till the water starts to come out of the side of the skimmer/bleed nipple, then push it down a little bit at a time till the water stops coming out. Sorted...

B00tCamp likes this.
  18. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Thanks @Wes :thumbup:

Will set it like that tonight!

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

my skimmer (reef octo NW250) sounded like a 350chev with pipes running straight to the sides lol..

So my silencer has two inlets, Sure this was meant for the model that has two pumps but mine only has one. So I blocked the one hole (I just blocked each hole with my finger to see which one made the biggest noise reduction) .. Then I used the extra piece of silicone hose that came with the skimmer and put that on the inlet of the silencer and that made a big reduction in sound

Next is that there is always this damn humming sound from the skimmer which is caused by the vibration of the skimmer. JNS and Vertex skimmers solved this by attaching the skimmer pump with a rubber piece to the skimmer body instead of a pvc fitting. So with mine, when I move the lid of the collection cup the noise goes down for a bit then the vibration starts again, so at the moment I just put a little plastic air hose connector to keep a gap between the cup and lid. Seems to have made a little improvement.

Next I want to try to fit a small breather filter to the air inlet of the skimmer as the pipe gets quite a bit of dust in it

20. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey guys - i just simply just let the airhose fall over and kink on its own - seems to quieten down the skimmer pump tremendously - but does not lose the effectiveness of the skimmer? I have the DNW150 which works like a beast when unclamped but the noise is too much. Now I have the line bent over and set to dry skim. Skims alot less, but there isnt much wetness in the collection cup until all the foam reaches the bottow. Right now, the foam stays stuck to the cup's lid until there is a push from the skimmer with more foam...
    @Wes, which model are you referreing to? Are u setting up the skimmer when it is off?

21. Wes

Wes

Skimmer must be on. TS2

Recent Posts