Damn diatoms! When will they go away?

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Moved livestock over to a new tank about 3 weeks ago. For the last 2 weeks i've had a diatom outbreak. I'm sure this is probably because I didn't use the same substrate, was all new.

When will it go away?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Moved livestock over to a new tank about 3 weeks ago. For the last 2 weeks i've had a diatom outbreak. I'm sure this is probably because I didn't use the same substrate, was all new.

When will it go away?
Another week

LikesFish

Blenny
Reaction score
Also, you'll note that with every significant water change there will most probably be a small diatom bloom - my guess is from some of the nutrients in the new salt mix.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Matt, learn some patience fella;)

Just a thought:lol:

All you can do is to ensure your water conditions are spot on, they will go....soon:razz:

Sammy

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hi Matt, I have the same prob, my subsrate looks horrible, my tank is cycling now for about 9 days ? when did you see yours and when did it disappear ????

geoffrey

Blenny
Reaction score
quick question. when diatoms appear. is it wise to just rake the sand a bit and loosen all the diatoms off, then place a bit of filterwool on overflow for a day or so? catch all the crap?

Sammy

Clownfish
Reaction score
good question ??? i dont know what to do ?? they all say it will disappear after the cycle ??? I hope ???? my substrate was nice and white ???

geoffrey

Blenny
Reaction score
sammy don't worry it'll go away. mine started going away, did a water change and came back again (as expected) let your tank mature. it looks crap i know... super manky brown shit !!

Furbz

Foxface
Reaction score
hey guys, got the same issue. my tank is coming up on 3 weeks old now.
my diatoms started about a week in. had high pho's to start off with tho.
my tank looks like the elements have had thier way with it. but i have seen it happen before when my mate started up his tank, (using reggies play sand). took a little over 3 weeks and it seems his are on the way out.
otherwise. vasbyt!
if you dont have patience, this hobby will teach it to you very quicky!

Sammy

Clownfish
Reaction score
cool, chaps, you are giving hope, i hope my nice expensive aragonite will all clear up to what it was before ????

Furbz

Foxface
Reaction score
i hope my super cheap reggies sand will clear up like it use to ;)

SchyffS

Reef Aquarist
Reaction score
Hi Chaps, can you post a pick. It would help to see what you are talking about ;)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sammy, that is a light dusting, i've seen and had much worse, keep your params spot of and adjust your flow to keep it down (but don't cause a sand storm) also run some rowaphos to keep the P04 down to zero.

Sammy

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Diatoms seem to be disappearing fast ???? Is this an indication that my cycle is ending ? Tank now 3 weeks into cycle ?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Diatoms seem to be disappearing fast ???? Is this an indication that my cycle is ending ? Tank now 3 weeks into cycle ?
It is a very good indication thet the tank is not only cycling, but that you also have good quality water, check your perams, they should be pretty good.