Damaged Coral Beauty

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nism0, 18 Mar 2012.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Hi guys and gals,

Just yesterday I was looking at my Coral Beauty and thinking how much it has improved since January. Then this afternoon the lights came on and this is what greets me :eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

What could have done this??

[​IMG]

The only other tank inhabitants are as follows:
    1xPercula Clown
    4xBlue/green Chromis
    1xcleaner shrimp
    and my prime suspect
    1x coral banded shrimp

He is quite big, and aggressive. Could he cause the damage seen in the fish above?
    I actually happened to take this pic as he was approaching the clown. During the day he sits under his perch accept during feeding. But at night he is all over the show.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

How big is the CB Shrimp in comparison to the coral Beauty? you may have a predatory crab in your system, check a few hours after lights out in the evening?

4. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Well for reference the clown in that pic is about 7cm tip to tail. The Beauty is a bit longer. But not by much. Hope that helps.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2012
  5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

hmmmm, I would suspect a hitchhiker crab...might be worth checking at night..?

6. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks gMAN. Will do.
    Not a cool seeing the Beauty in that state. It was doing so well :(

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Wait, what happened to it prior to this? and what's that white stuff on it's fin?

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I have a coral beauty with a coral bandid shrimp...and some other crabs....and pistol shrimps...even kept a mantis (RIP Rocky) together - and nothing ever happened to him. The coral bandid shrimp will just like scare him away if he wonders to close. I suspect finrot, if it's white fluff, then yes. Something might tress the fish and he got it because of that, I doubt it is something nipping at him as that is a big chuck out of his tail fin.

9. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

When i got him, he looked similar but not as bad. Started feeding him twice or even three times a day. Flakes mostly. Yesterday he looked like the kind of fish i would want to buy from a LFS.

That white stuff on his fin is a piece that looks like it will fall off quite soon. Basically like a "chunk" of him just dangling off.
    @Tobes Would finrot occur so quickly? On friday i dosed Ca and Mg to get them back up, but other than that everything seems normal.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yes it can, a friend of mine's clownfish had finrot and he only noticed when the whole anal fin was eaten away. Luckily I could save him with meds in QT.
    Jeann1's tangs where fighting when he introduced a new yellow tang, the next day the yellow had finrot from being harassed by the scopas.
    Keep an eye on it, it can spread very fast to other fins

11. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Yoh!! Ok, will do. Thanks for the advice.

12. juan R

juan R

@Nism0, I agree with Tobes.I doubt that your CB shrimp has caused that on the coral beaty it looks more like finrot to me. I have a coral beaty and a banded shrimp and he only scares the fish off if they come too close. Sorry to see him like that, hopr he recovers:(

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. magman

magman

that on the top fin looks like it could be lymph, (lymphtitus, or cauliflower disease), pretty commen in larger angels, it is pretty harmless to the fish, and goes away by stable conditions,

The deteration in the fins, I would be a bit more concerned about that if they deteriarate much more,

is something not stressing the fish in the tank? Fighting?

14. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

@magman No fighting that i have seen. And i do spend a bit too much time looking at this little glass box. My wife is getting jealous. Even the dog looks at me funny when i start staring at the tank.

The fins look just like they did yesterday so at least its not getting worse. There was a PH dip on friday and saturday going down to 8.02. The normal low is 8.14-ish. But it is back to normal today. I do need to increase the pH a bit as it generally hovers at about 8.2

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Ph is fine, unless it keeps dropping

7.8 - 8.4 is fine

Just remember before you adjust pH - make sure the equipment you use to measure is calibrated and/or the test kits are not expired - double check with someone else or your LFS.

Recent Posts