Dallasg's Xmas Reefing Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 18 Dec 2011.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Some tips for xmas! These tips i do and work for me, not the gospel but cant hurt eighter.
    I will post daily as i remember them

Carbon
    Carbon should be rinsed and soaked in 0 TDS RO water for atleast 12-24 hrs before use.
    You can microwave the water as the hot water will help release the air bubbles trapped inside increasing the effiency of the carbon.
    If the carbon is not being fluidised, place it in a filter bag that is easily accessible so it can be kneaded easily to keep the bag and contents clean. Knead every second day and replace every 30 days completly.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2011
    Seabass likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CJT

CJT

dallasg what is kneaded?

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Logically I would say it's the same as with baking...when mixing and making dough..press down with you'r knuckles..move it around...:blush:

5. Seabass

Seabass

Keep em coming, thanks, need to change my carbon today, will do as per tip

6. Q89

Q89

This is going to be a great thread, tagging along!!

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

do not knead too much. You do not want to crunch charcoal into a paste. Just so that any settlement or blocking up can be sorted.

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

Here's a quick tip. I thought it was rubbish until I started doing it.

Don't put your hands in your tank...ever

Putting your hands in your tank can have detrimental effect on both your corals and hardware. The oils on your hands often prevent your skimmer from skimmer effectively for a few hours. This doesn't sound bad but if you put your hands in your tank everyday, your skimmer may only be skimming effectively for say 18 hours a day. Therefore it is only working at 75% of its capacity. Washing your hands prior to working in your tank may cause even more issues. Most soaps have harsh chemicals and anti-bacterial agents in them that may be fatal to corals as well as your filtration system. So my advice is when ever possible, please keep your hands out of your tanks.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2011
    JD167 and Afsal like this.
  9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

this i totally agree with :thumbup:

10. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

yip nice one manic!
    next tip to follow....

11. Merman

Merman

my best tip to add is " read these posts and take them seriously"

Nearly every mistake I've made in this hobby comes down to some basics that I did not think was important..... read the posts and stick your pride in the goldfish bowl as that is where it belongs.....:p

12. dallasg

Gravel/Substrate

For those that have gravel/substrate in your tank, take the time once a month to clean/siphon it thoroughly. The organics and detritus that build up over time could be the cause of your nitrates not reaching zero, purchase a R40 gravel siphon and use this to force those water changes.

If you are adding new gravel, make sure you wash it thoroughly and leave to soak in RO water for 2-3 days changing the water every day. This will help to remove the excess phosphates and "dirt" allowing for a trouble/algae free tank.

13. dallasg

Cleaning Equipment

While we all like to hide the powerheads etc in our tank, cleaning our equipment is what will keep it working for years to come.
    Atleast once a month take the time to clean all pumps and powerheads, i am not talking about the outer casings but also the internals, if you dont want to take things apart, prepare a solution of warmed RO water and viniger, i use 1:1 ratio, and soak all equipment for about 10min, then while still warm use an old tooth-brush to clean.

By keeping your sump clean and free from detritus you will also be preventing Nitrates and Phosphates.

Skimmer cleaning is also recommended to keep its efficiency up as well as stopping coraline algae growing everywhere.

14. dallasg

Low PH, could excess CO2 be the cause???
    Normal CO2 readings for indoor spaces is 350-1000 ppm (parts per million) but sometimes we can get levels in excess of 1500 ppm due to low air movement and respiration by us and plants. By opening windows and ventilating the sump we can allow the excess CO2 to escape and not affect our PH.

Recent Posts