Dallas' Orca Orphek Ocean

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by dallasg, 4 Dec 2012.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Prelude - Ramble
    Well the time has come to move to the big leagues, I am all grown up and thought time for a large tank in my house until my fish room etc. is ready, so this will be my first venture in to large tanks... :yeahdude:

It’s going to be 2400x1000x600, water at 550mm in 12mm fully braced, to support a full wave if needed, or a surge.

The tank will be partitioned into 3 tanks allowing me to keep anything my heart desires without having to worry about corals, tank mates and environments.

The left tank will be low flow environment for sea horses, pipe fish and razor fish, with some macro algae’s and soft corals.
    The right partition will be for the fish I want but are not reef friendly, or just too boisterous.

The centre tank, 1500x1000x600, will be my SPS reef tank; this will be where the magic will happen. For flow there will be 2 x vortech MP40’s and a MP60. For lighting I plan on using an Orphek Atlantik to light the reef which will be somewhere in the region of 800x500. Now why the Orphek unit, well I have against paying the crazy retail prices of LED units, and after seeing the review of the Atlantik for Macna and doing some research, this units is leaps ahead, as the reef grows I will add more and progress as the last thing I want is to make this unaffordable.

I plan to be quite selective with the SPS, hoping to get tabling acropora’s , and all the other lovlies we see overseas… "hint hint"

I plan to use Caribsea Primo and South Seas rock for the scaping, and Fiji seafloor and Fiji pink for substrate in 2 of the partitions, with the low flow having black araga-live and mineral mud section, well maybe…

The stand I will be making from 2x8’s and 2x6’s, all wood, clad in 18mm shutter ply, coated on the outside with black fibre paint, and the inside in white. The goal is to have everything hidden in and around the stand with no wires or piping visible.

Now the sump, well this is where I want to keep it simple, my skimmers, Orca Bio-Cubes Smart Bomb (3L), Fluidized Ceramic rings (4L), Fluidized GFH, and all the rest of my LR I wont use. Heating will be 2 x 300w Jager heaters. I will use a Haelia 500A chiller for the hot days, the heaters and chiller will be controller by a thermostat for added safety.

I will have a small 600x600x300 coral acclimation tank where I will house all new corals for a week until I decide where to place them, I will have a fish acclimation tank as well, as once in the tank will be next to impossible to catch. Not sure if I will use a boyu TL-5500 for this or make a small cube.

Lighting for the frag tank will be Reef Inmates 2 x 24w stealth units with a 3rd over the fish QT tank.

For the return I am still in two minds where I should run a Boyu Eco DC return pump 10 000L or Waterblaster 10000L, decisions…

And should I add a CLS?

This build signifies various goals for me in reefing, and plays a lot in experimentation as I have a few ideas and ideas for the new year

Thanks again for reading…
    More to follow…

Ps. Those wanting a collage of pics, this is a build I am actually planning and not rushing, and dare I say will cycle and get to learn the tank…

megatank.jpg

stand-2012.jpg

front-wide.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. durleo

durleo

you go dude ! Gonna be an awesome concept!

4. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Sounds promising...good luck with the build

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Nice Good to see you going bigger. Good luck:thumbup:

6. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks, will be great if i pull it off

7. dallasg

daunting i tell you...thanks bud

8. Wolve

Wolve

sounds awesome gonna be amazing man.

9. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Stunning, love the bean animal overflow. Let me know if you come right with the John Quest fitting (Grey one on the right from which the red pipe connects to). Have been looking for it here in Durbs with no luck.

10. Wolve

Wolve

@Hammerhead marko the waterboy has all of those fittings

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. dallasg

thanks man! i hope so too :)

me too, if i dont get here i will look at getting from UK, but i see builders has them now

12. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Just Sms'd Marco (Waterboy) he has those fittings (3.8" NPT John Quest) His RO units have the elbows. Our builders warehouse havent even heard of it.

Had a look at the vertex libra doser and they come with these fittings also. Gonna mod my doser so i can use em fittings.

13. Wolve

Wolve

Cool i accept frags as thanks

14. K_ONE

K_ONE

I like the idea of multiple tanks inside a tank (inception?).

Is there only an overflow in the last section of the tank?
    It also looks as though the three tanks have a hole drilled on the dividing walls.. is this to move the water from far left (where I would think the return from the sump would be?) to the overflow?

If this is the case.. the water level in the left tank will be higher than the other two and you would also want the hole to be big enough to accommodate the flow from the return pump and take blockages into consideration.

With this setup, the overflow has safety built in however your blockages may happen before the water even enters the last tank that has the overflow.

If this were my design, I would isolate all three of the tanks and let them share one external C2C overflow.
    Each tank will need it's own return from the sump (can be a common line with valves).

You may want to isolate/drain one of the tanks in the future.. this will allow you to do so.

The safety features of the bean animal overflow can also be incorporated into this design.

If you want a pic I could put one together in mspaint :)

Last edited: 4 Dec 2012
  15. dallasg

thanks for all the comments, i will keep you posted as i experiment

that said, the glass should be here next week

16. dallasg

my builders has them, and a RO place here in jhb

17. vatso

vatso

With the bracing on the top how are you going to get the glass dividers in? and once you have some live rock you not going to be able to just get them out?

why not just build a large tank and then just feed other tanks next to the large tank for the other type of live stock?

the idea is nice but I would want 1000lt size partitions

18. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

As I sit and wait with you my friend it is with inspiration and and amazement that I watch you on this cowabunga adventure! :yeahdude:

19. dallasg

I wanted 1 tank, one cabinet etc, this is to placate myself until I can build my large sunlit tank. So this 1500L will do :yeahdude:

Give me a few weeks to build and move my tanks

20. dallasg

Thanks Carlos , but if it looks like your current tank I will be one happy reefer

21. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

3 in 1 - wow ! Brave man indeed - but sounds awesome if you can get it right. That is a BIG tank yeehaa ! I wish you well and will be following this build with interest!

But... You wont be able to get a side view of the SPS section in the middle, and give you an extra perspective of plating monti's etc as the tank matures. With a tank that long it would be awesome to look in the side panel and see a long reef stretching into the distance ...

Recent Posts